Uroboros

Donn Salt

Hi Guys,

It has taken some time to sit down and type a few words. Have found it a little disconcerting to find the 'Attachments Global Space' is still at 3.87k which hardly allows a pic to be posted. However the sequence here is far beyond the capacity of this so the next best is a link......

http://www.donnsalt.com/UROBOROS/Uros_docs/Uros_00_enter.htm

This is a series of pics taken with the old film camera of a commission completed toward the latter of last year. Finally processed it after many long hours into the quiet of the night. Sorry Don, there are no pics of workshop or tools yet, they are still on the way. Patience...... have a couple or three orders just ahead which will be perfect to whet your curiosity.

Have enjoyed quietly lurking in the background and following the dialogue. Many points and thoughts similar to my own sentiments.

I would love to see more of Ford's work, the avatar is very intriguing, could have come out of any number of my Netsuke books and looks superior than many traditional pieces. How about it?

Cheers,

Donn

Guest DFogg

That is a great tutorial on a really nice piece, thanks.

I don't know what is up with the image thing. I removed the limitations altogether and tech support was suppose to go in and make sure we didn't have any more problems. Did you try posting an image? I will get back to them if it still doesn't let you post.

An additional thought, try to refresh or reload the browser window to see if that changes anything. Sometimes that is required to get a new update visible onto a page that has changed when the url has not changed, as in, the old window data is in the computer's cache and will show the old rather than the new information...

Guest ford hallam

Hi Donn,

thanks for the kind comments, sadly I can`t take credit for the avatar piece, it was made by Kano Natsuo, one of the ( some say THE ) greats. Jim was good enough to post a piece I made about 7 or more years ago, its in the show and tell section. I`m getting to grips with my new digital camera and intend to post some new pieces soon.

regards, Ford

btw. i visited your site sometime ago, absolutely bloody georgeous work.

While training as a goldsmith I also studied gemology, Jade, jadite, nephrite ,magical mysterious stuff. I can completely understand where the Chinese are coming from. I envy your experience of the stuff.

You are right on to it Janel. A light touch is so essential and so often misunderstood or overlooked. Throughout the many phases of carving a piece a 'light touch' is all that is required. Go slowly, gain more.

(Suspect these comments are like trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs!)

However, brings to mind an instance some years ago of a friend who was having problems with her jewellery making. She asked how I would approach the issue using her tools. After watching for less than 5 min. her exclamation was along the lines 'Wow, I have learnt so much. I had not realised how a light touch and varying pressure could be so efficient. Why don't they teach this in class?'

Yep, to the wise advise of clearing temp files and cookies. I do this regularly. Had to explain the need of this to my boy who periodicaly loves indulging in online games. This activity soon clogs up the system if not attended to.

Dan, I love the press. Not so much for compressing files in this instance. Probably wouldn't fit in the browser anyway. A multitude of other extraneous applications flood the mind.

Yes Don, attempted an attachment of a 21k pic and was advised there was not enough space and to reduce the size. From 21k to 3.87?

Am I supposed to clear the attachments box somehow or do they sit there as a reference of past activities?

Ahhhhhhhh, all becomes clear Ford. Viewed Jim's entry of the pic when it was posted and am eager to be further impressed with later examples.

Digi cameras are a wonder once the mindset realises the basic rules are not that much different from conventional cameras. The instant access to image manipulation is truly the gem. From simple cropping to complex Photoshop or the like.

For the Chinese, Jade.... The stone of the Heavens. The dust, the essence of immortality.

Better get back to the bench or I won't be around for another few hundred years.

Thanks guys the responses are appreciated.

"Am I supposed to clear the attachments box somehow or do they sit there as a reference of past activities?"

Donn, I think that if you are talking about the Managing Attachments box in the My Controls area, don't remove anything unless you want the image to be removed from the post that it is in. That is my take on it. About what else to do, that might again fall on Don Foggs shoulders. Sigh, it's too bad this keeps being a problem for some.

Hang in there.

Janel

Guest DFogg

Donn,

I think I found the choke and removed the limitation. It was hidden in one of the menus that I had looked at before. Hopefully that will be the last remaining block to posting pictures. If so, post away, I would love to see more.

Don

Donn,

I cannot imagine carving something that hard and large. Your work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the process. I have a friend in New York who is a gem carver

working on very small items. I have watched the process so I have an idea of the skill involved. Enlarging the process must be ten or twenty times the work. Thank You.

Dick

Thanks Dick, You're right, enlarging scale for jade is exponential in both labour and time, defininately worth it on a piece which 'lights the fire' and gets the juices flowing though.

Yay! Seems you got it this time Don. Unlimited space! Promise I will not abuse it.

Have attached thatpost-97-1121148409.jpg test pic of a small moebius ribbon which I tried last post, only 20k.

This piece about 35 to 40 mm.

Thanks,

Donn

Archived