Japanese relief sculpture

Phil White

Hi all,

I am looking for any resource material on Japanese small relief sculpture, excluding sword fittings (already have lots of that). What I am referring to specifically are kenbyo, carved table screens, or ranma screens (carved openwork architectural screens)? I have couple of small projects in mind for the winter/spring, possibly a new direction in my work, but there seems to be very little in print or on the web about the subject.

Would anyone happen to have any books on the subject that you could recommend, in any language. (English or French preferred) I have tried all of the standard book sites, and come up empty handed. Otherwise, would you know of any other keywords that I might search for on the web relating to the subject?

Anyone have any interesting photos of related items that they could share ?

Thanks very much in advance,

Phil

Aloha Phil,

I tried ranma panels as a starting point and got this, http://www.tableasia.com/Table_Asia_Galler...ese_Panels.html. I am more familiar with ranma as transoms, so I would go with ranma transom. Otherwise search engines bring up some manga name-alike. I'm guessing that art dealers are your easiest bet for images.

There was a link in here regarding tortoiseshell, that led to videos of traditional craftspeople working, including ranma carving. It was through something like the "Japanese Traditional Folk Art Association" on the Tokyo Tourism website. Unfortunately, that site has been rebuilt without that link. If you can find them again... :rolleyes:

I used to frequent an old Japanese traditional building supplier here of tatami, shoji, tokonoma posts, ranma etc. When he passed, his secretary gave me all the ooold design books of traditional rooms. If you are interested, I'll see if I can find them. :unsure:

Karl

Karl, many thanks for this link. I hadn't seen it before. It seems to be working a bit slow, but I will check it out in more detail. Re. your catalogues, I would be very interested if there is something relevent there.

Dan, thanks as well. I had seen this site before, but it is good to revisit it. I will have to explore the links in greater depth.

Phil

Aloha Phil,

Glad to help. Back in about 3 pages in Search Google>ranma transom, seems to be a free Ebook/PDF download on the subject as well as English translations of Japanese life style articles. Could we be seeing the birth of Haida ranma fusion? (I love fusion. :rolleyes: ) Here's a few links of interest.

http://www.janesoceania.com/palau_storyboard/index.htm

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/coll...e.php?ID=214153

Various Polynesian groups meet here (as well as North American Natives), and some do group carving "awakenings". Very spiritual.

Dan, thanks for reestablishing that connection. Haven't found the video links though.

Karl

Fantastic links! Thanks Karl!

I never thought to search for "transom". I would usually associate that with nautical carving.

There are many similarities between the arts of the South Pacific, and the Canadian Northwest Coast. Never thought of a fusion with Japanese, though I can see the possibility. Very interesting concept.

It will take me a while to go through this.

Phil

Archived