forum guidelines

Mark Strom

I regret the loss of two intelligent, insightful and honest members. Ford and Clive contributed a great deal to the discussions and learning process on this forum, of that there is no doubt.

I have been following recent discussions and cannot understand how anything posted could result in such an action. From where I sit there was an open dialogue, opinions were stated and observations were made. Granted some of the discussion was tense but such is the case when ego is involved (always is in the artistic community). That is what I thought a forum was for...discussion.

Now let me be clear...I am stating that I am confused. I am in no way arguing the decision, questioning anyone's authority or trying to cause a rebellion of any sort. I read the guidelines and I am still confused. I feel grateful to be a contributing member, have learned a great deal and have received two large commissions this year due to my connection to this forum. I would also like to continue to be a contributing member.

I posted this in the Way because I think it is important that a set of guidelines be provided that is a little more precise and clear about what and where the boundaries are. I realize and understand that this is Janel's forum and that a dedicated group of people act as administrators (along with Janel) to insure that there is a degree of civility maintained. I respect that. I feel that there are others on this forum that may be having the same confusion and felt like someone needed to voice the concern.

Along with my confusion is a degree of anxiety about crossing over boundaries. My humor, comments and observations can come across as quite sarcastic, sharp and arrogant on occasion. My last post was worked over to sound as neutral as I could make it but I have no control over how it is interpreted by the reader. It is my hope that this post in not misconstrued as well. All I am asking is for a clearer guideline concerning what is appropriate.

To be truthful...there is thit rush of anxiety questioning whether or not I should have even posted this.

Hello,

I guessed I missed something as I have been preoccupied with other stuff and haven't been keeping up with the forum. I have been so happy with Clive's recent interaction with many folks here on the forum, and was very happy to see Ford back again. I'm sorry if they are no longer a part of this very wonderful gathering place.

Mark - I always appreciate your deep, thoughtful, and caring presence on the forum - you inspire me on many levels - I am sure your post is appropriate, without knowing any details.

All I can say is - AS ARTISTS, WE MUST LEARN NOT TO TAKE THINGS THAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT OUR WORK, ETC. PERSONALLY - WE ARE BY NATURE VERY SENSITIVE AND EMOTIONAL AND WE CAN EASILY OVER-REACT. FREEDOM OF OPINION SHOULD BE JUST THAT - BUT OPINION IS NOT REALITY AND SO SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN TOO GOSH DARN SERIOUSLY.

Blessings to All,

Magnus

If memory serves me from my college days something like 80% of our inter-personal communication is body language and other non-verbal information. Thus it's super easy to misinterpret what we read/write in a forum such as the Carving Path.

I'm a tired old computer consultant that re-tired about 6-7 years ago because of health problems. I've been on the Internet since 1993 (remember Gopher servers?) and remember the bad old days of nasty flames in email newsgroups that often ended with the group being abandoned. Best thing is to let it drop and go back to the basics. Lets talk carving.

I'm just a hobby carver and my art is for art's sake. I'm finishing up fancy handles for a couple new homemade tools and carving some nickels for Christmas presents. I'll never be Barry Lee but I'm having fun carving just the same.

Peace,

John

Archived