Sandblaster

tsterling

Jim Kelso's paperweight image woke up a long supressed question: Does anyone out there have any experience with small sandblasters - similar to the "Air Eraser" I've seen advertised? (Looks a lot like an airbrush...) I have a large sandblaster, but it is such a huge mess I hate to use it. Hard to control as well.

As an aside to Jim Kelso, what sort of sandblaster do you use?

Thanks in advance,

Guest DFogg

I have one of those micro blasters and it is really nice. I use it to texture and matt finish areas. It works just like an air brush. You can mask with tape and feather right up to it. I use micro glass beads mostly, but do have some fine abrasive powder that works in it too. It is a very handy tool.

I've got two of the "Economy Sand Blasters" as sold by Gesswein.

Gesswein.com

I use one for aluminum oxide and one for glass beads on metal. The AO is for cleaning and the beads for a textured matte finish. For wood I take the pieces to an industrial granite shed who I have worked with for years.

I used to have one of the "Air Erasers" and it worked pretty well, but I find the small cabinet blasters more conveniant(and more $!). They were a lot cheaper when I bought them. Gesswein tends to be high. You may could find a better deal.

Guest ford hallam

Jim,

i thought that the way you gave your pieces in process a soft dusting so to speak, was really helpful in making the work clearer. I meant to mention that on the paperweght /moth thread. I don`t have such fancy luxuries though. I use varying grades of tiny garnets and drop them by hand on to the polished workpiece. It`s a traditional process called "ishi arashi " literally, stone dropping! I find it to be very controllable and to be honest I prefer the effect. We used to use sandblasters like the one you use, when I was involved in jewellery producion, still feels too industrial to me as a result. I must admit that there are times when it would be handy to have one in the workshop but I`m such an old fashioned bloke.....

as always, Ford ;)

I hardly ever use the glass beads. Mostly to make a nice texture on my production jewelry. The AO however, I find indispensible and very quick to show every detail that may need fussing with prior to beginning the final polish.

It also creates a very even modulation, when subsequently moving into the polish, from matted background to polished highlights. I like the contrast between the matte abckground and polished details. Obviously the ancients(and Ford) didn't require such convenience, but at a modest outlay, I'll take every advantage I can.

I also use the ishi-arashi effect(as learned from my mate Ford). It's very subtle and beautiful as a finished texture. The sandblast texture is not really a finish, for me, but more an intermediate step.

Here's a shot of the process of ishi-arashi on a shibuichi vase(the finished piece can be seen on my web site under"Boxes and Objects). I'm lightly texturing the background by pouring the small garnets over the surface. The carved design is protected by fingernail polish(not my usual color) and masking tape.

post-4-1121170296.jpg

OK, thanks for the advice, Jim, Ford and Don. Gives me more to think about. Will look into the various options...not sure about the "dropping garnets" thing, though. Thanks to my Air Force background, I'm highly trained to always go for the more expensive high tech solution!?

• 2 years later...

i have been useing a Vaniman problast for about 3years now and i like it alot..but even with all the filters i have for it .my new shop is not the place for it. just to much fine dust.. so i'm trying to find a place outside that i can put up a small roof of so kind so when i need to blast something. i can just sit it up out there..

http://www.vaniman.com/products/product.ph...rt_number=80008

• 11 months later...

Archived