Where to start

Robert Mayo

Hello everyone

I am attempting my first carving and would like to know if you could tell me which area to carve next on this knife handle

so i do not get to far and go in the wrong direction. The carving area shown is 4 1/4" x 1" inside the cutout area and the damascus is

1/4" thick. Any help from you seasoned veterans will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Bob

damascusbirdknife1.jpg

Hello everyone

I am attempting my first carving and would like to know if you could tell me which area to carve next on this knife handle

so i do not get to far and go in the wrong direction. The carving area shown is 4 1/4" x 1" inside the cutout area and the damascus is

1/4" thick. Any help from you seasoned veterans will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Bob

Hi Bob,

Here's a link to a tutorial I posted here a while back - it should get you an idea about how I would go about it:

How to Carve Steel - Wormy Wood

And a link to a thread on making gravers - pay attention in particular to Jim Kelso's tips on making a graver:

Gravers

Also, the metalworking section has lots to look at.

To start with on your knife handle, I would use a graver to make small engraved cuts to isolate the interior web from the handle frame. I would limit my work on the exterior frame part to shaping and relieving the outside edges so it feels good in the hand.

The interior I would round over with carbide burrs, and detail the leaves and bird with gravers, then use small files, scrapers and stones to finish up the surfaces.

For a little eye candy, below is a photo of an extraordinary Josef Rusnak knife along the same vein as yours, followed by a link to more pictures of the same knife.

post-11-1260637486.jpg

Josef Rusnak

Best of luck!

Here is where i am at now does anyone have any suggestions on where i go from here. Thanks for looking and any help.

I know the photos are a little big but the file size is around 50 kb just let me know if they are to big.

Bob

Texture the branches to look like bark, smooth up the leaves and use small gravers to put in some minimal detail on the bird (as in the eyes, beak, and wings).

It's looking pretty good so far, Bob!

Texture the branches to look like bark, smooth up the leaves and use small gravers to put in some minimal detail on the bird (as in the eyes, beak, and wings).

It's looking pretty good so far, Bob!

Thanks again Tom carving steel is not as easy as it looks in your tutorial i will have a go at it some more.

Bob

Here's where i'm at now i think it is ok and will go ahead and finish the knife.

Tom will i lose any of the texture when etching the damascus?

Thanks again for the help.

Bob

Yes, etching will interfere with the texture. You can mask off the areas you don't want etched. The best masking agents are the professional black art masks from the bigger online art supply stores, but for something quick and dirty try the wife's fingernail polish.

• 4 weeks later...

very nice work!

If you are using ferric chloride as an enchant you can use a sharpie marker as a resist I have used it in the past with good results. the trick is to use a rather new one and get as even a coverage as possible. for larger areas I have used layout blue with mixed results it is easily scratched and re coating seemed to not work all that well with the etch getting under the masked area around the former scratch.

MP

Bob:

Believe it or not, hairspray can make a decent block for ferric chloride also. The cheap stuff (like Aquanet) works better than the higher end stuff. But with as much work as you have in on this piece, I'd recommend asphaltam. Make sure and buy turpentine because without it, it's the devil to get off.

I just want to qualify that I have never etched steel, only copper, brass and silver. So if you are even thinking about the hairspray, check on a piece of scrap first. I think the most important thing to do when etching is to check often that whatever block you use isn't lifting. Protect your pretty carving!

Debbie K

Archived