Stocking fillers

Irishcarver

Is coconut shell often used for carving? It appears to be an interesting material to use, considering the textures remaining from the surface of the shell and incorporating those into the flow of the design. Are there any quirks to this material that you might have noticed while carving it? I imagine that the color will deepen as the wearer's body oils are absorbed, enhancing and personalizing each gift.

Janel

Is coconut shell often used for carving? It appears to be an interesting material to use, considering the textures remaining from the surface of the shell and incorporating those into the flow of the design. Are there any quirks to this material that you might have noticed while carving it? I imagine that the color will deepen as the wearer's body oils are absorbed, enhancing and personalizing each gift.

Janel

I see some bits and pieces made from it but mainly pendants. It is lovely to use. No real problems with grain and it carves nicely with the dremel. I love the textures left behind. It makes each piece unique too. I'm sure it will deepen somewhat, not sure how much though.

Thanks JP!

I'm a fan of work that looks like someone sat down at the bench and had fun. It's either that or I'm getting really tired of a certain long term project that haunts my bench.

I also like the photo setting. I wanted to go out to my favorite piece of sandstone to takes some pictures but it was -25 F and the rock was covered in snow. My shop is about 45 F this time of year so I dress like Hannibal Chew in "Blade Runner" except my hat is funkier. When it gets really cold I get a strange urge to carve eyes.

Enjoy Florida and keep craving coconuts. You seen Jimmy Buffet lurking? We dream of such things during the long dark Montana winter.

John

Archived