Miniature Block Plane/Finger Plane

AlexPtak

Hello everyone,

I made this little tool just like the large block planes, just much much smaller. It's incredible what such a tiny tool can do!

It's made with a mahogany center, and walnut sides, with an ebony wedge. The chip breaker is steel, and the blade is hardened and tempered steel.

If you're interested feel free to send me a message.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers,

Alex

ps Janel,

please let me know if this is not the right spot for this, or if the pics are too large. I would also like to send you one to get your thoughts and see if there are any improvements that you would suggest. Would you mind a freebie for you opinion? :)

post-1633-1260901062.jpg

post-1633-1260901048.jpg

post-1633-1260901074.jpg

Very cool, Alex, let's see a photo of it in action!

I'm a little bothered by the size of the grain of walnut and mahogany for such a tiny plane, so for your next let's see one in ebony, boxwood and steel.

I once made a tiny plane netsuke (a scaled replica of a big one I have, sort a Norris-style) of desert ironwood, boxwood and fossil ivory (for the steel cutting parts). I love tiny little replica tools like this, keep them coming!

I agree about the grain size. I don't have enough ebony to make a body right now, so I'll have to order some. Any thoughts on which ebony? I think I'll incorporate some nickel silver into the ebony version. I have a lot of that all over from failed watchmaking experiments :) And I like the combination of black with the nickel.

I'll get a pic of it in action shortly. Did you take any pics of your netsuke? I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Alex

Any thoughts on which ebony?

Did you take any pics of your netsuke? I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'd go with some Gabon ebony - pure black. Most of the other ebonies I'm acquainted with have dark and light mixed streaks, so I'd go with one that is all one color for such a small tool. Of course, each piece of ebony varies, so you might be able to find enough solid color in other types if you can see them before you buy.

I'll look for photos of the little plane netsuke and post it for you in a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Archived