dead leaves

sergio

I like it, although it makes me sad to feel the forthcoming winter, smell the dead leaves and grass, but maybe your autumn is cold, dry and windy. It's funny how a piece of dead wood which is carved with great skill can make one to see and taste different things that aren't there. Some call it art, wonder why? For me it's a miracle... Thank's for shearing with me (and others). Lauri.

Bonjour Lauri, our autumn is cold with a lot of rain. But he gives to the leaves many fantastics colours. I try to make you feel that with these carving.

hi tsterlinq, i'm not familiar with Kodo's leaves. I look for this carver on the web. Thank-you for the information.

Hi Sergio,

I can imagine the time it took to carve the positive/negative areas of the small veining. Dried leaves, of autumn or of disease, are beautiful and lively forms to gaze upon, if one slows down enough to notice them. Thank you for sharing photos of these pieces.

Janel

Thank you all. Tsterlinq, after your message, i go on the web and i saw some carving of Kodo and one leaf you carve. Nice work, it stimulate me. I think i must try to carve leaves more tortured.

Hi Sergio,

Dead leaves are such wonderful things to carve. Have you also looked at other dead things, specifically, dead, dried fish and squid? They have similar sorts of interesting distorted shapes and textures.

Antique netsuke have a number of "dead" themes - one of my favorites was a severed head (in an advanced state of decay). Others I can think of quickly: dried mushrooms, and skeletons. Apparently there was a horror of dying in a remote place away from family and having your remains scattered; I've seen a fair number of netsuke carved with that theme.

Hi Tom, thank you for the comment. I saw a skrull with maggots, it's curious, but that's not my style. I prefer leaves or mushrooms, i have not see dead fishes, but i am looking for.

Hi Cornel, i will carve other leaves and it's with pleasure that i show my future works. If one day i carve leaves like you carve animals, i will be the happier man in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Sergio, i like your leaves on top of this page. i think the first one is a real masterpiece, very good design!

The leaves on your last netsuke are looking quite different. they are not as 'crispy' as the others, more rigid and stiff. quite a difference, though i like the staining very much. is it wood or mammoth?

regards, alice.

Hi Alice, you are right, the last netsuké is different. I want to carve ivy, with bark. It's a whim. Now, i want to carve like the three others, i prefer them "crispy". It's boxwood, it's better for the colours. Thank you.

Archived