practice makes perfect .... or at least some improvement

cneber

so with my new power carver i've learned that you can get a catch with some burs and break off a chunk of wood ...as well as bang a finger or two. i seldom had this problem with my very under-powered NSKPresto, often bringing the little turbine to its knees.

but i'm putting myself through practical exercises of carving out very simple shapes on different types of wood.

this shape had had two inner curls but i lost its upper inner curl when i blunged a carbide bur into the center hole - wack and the wood was flung so far i never found it. probably need to expand my variety of burs--didn't seem to have something small enough to shape out the inner curls. i'll have to try this shape again.

if i keep at it, in 10,000 years i should become as proficient as many of the talented carvers on this site.

Ouch! The lessons are not always comfortable or easy. As when carving, with the grain not against it, the burrs must also be used with the grain sometimes. You can feel when this is necessary. As for making contact with the whole circumference of the burr and the hole, this can be the recipe for disaster, as you found out. A burr can open a hole by plunging it into the solid wood, but if a burr gets trapped against the grain on the upswing after the cutting edge in a U-shaped space or a hole, it will buck and or travel, sometimes around the whole carving and your finger nails. Practice is a very good idea. Just remember to keep the return side of the burr away from the wood while controlling the cutting side.

Janel

Archived