a couple of ostrichbone koauaus

Yuri

The title says it all.

The flutes have three fingerholes on the front. Total range is a fourth or fifth, dependant on tuning. I make these with the range of a fourth.

Janel! they came up about ten times the size they are on my computer! What have I done wrong? And I can't undo it.

post-2-1263870302.jpg post-2-1263870311.jpg

Hi Yuri,

Perhaps the images were not at 100% when you were looking at them and resizing them. The pixel dimensions are one clue to the size of the image. The height of the images were around 1400 pixels. I cropped a little of the background, and resized the images to 860 pixel length, then optimized them at around 50 to 60% for the web, which brought the file size down to around 50k.

After years of having to do this sort of work with photo processing, those above words mean something to me, but to those of you who are scratching their heads, my apologies. To remain visible, digital imagery has been another skill to add to my tool box. Shows, publications, advertisements, web sites, all require digital images now. We all continue to learn.

If you have questions about how to work with your photos, please ask. I, or other members may be able to help.

Janel

It is good that you can get the photos taken and posted! In time the habits will form for photo preparations for sharing. It is not so mysterious when you learn about how it works.

Now Yuri, what are the dimensions of the above pieces, and have you done anything to the bone as a finish?

The lenght is about 12-13 cms (around 5") The bones are way longer, I have made some very much longer ones from ostrich bones, maybe 2-2 1/2 times as long, but the traditional ones tend to be short. The originals were made from human bone, by the way, which is something I have not really explored...

The bones were bleached, that's all. They tend to have rather ugly grey, ans sometimes other colour blotches in them when fresh, which all deepen to dark grey when older. Hydrogen peroxide takes it all away in a few hours. Some of the bones actually tend to have a very lovely yellowish tinge, quite a bit like whale or hippo ivory, but it also tends to be only in some areas of the bone. The bleaching takes most of that away, but if there isn't a long period required, the yellowish hint still stays on.

The lenght is about 12-13 cms (around 5") The bones are way longer, I have made some very much longer ones from ostrich bones, maybe 2-2 1/2 times as long, but the traditional ones tend to be short. The originals were made from human bone, by the way, which is something I have not really explored...

The bones were bleached, that's all. They tend to have rather ugly grey, ans sometimes other colour blotches in them when fresh, which all deepen to dark grey when older. Hydrogen peroxide takes it all away in a few hours. Some of the bones actually tend to have a very lovely yellowish tinge, quite a bit like whale or hippo ivory, but it also tends to be only in some areas of the bone. The bleaching takes most of that away, but if there isn't a long period required, the yellowish hint still stays on.

Looks nice Yuri! A couple of questions. Is it an end blown or fipple flute? I assume it is closed ended like and Ocarina.

It is rim-blown. There is no kind of technical elaboration. Simply a tube. The surprising thing is that it is actually rather difficult to get the hang of to play. Once you can, there is endless variety of how you produce the sound. Unlike the recorder, and the flute tis instrument's sound is very much influenced by the volume of the mouth air cavity. But, on the other hand, tey never have more than a fifth range. (which you can extend both up and down by sometimes as much as a couple of tones, but not by fingering, it's by blowing differently.)

Archived