Netsuke in Japan

jeffflan

I am planning a few weeks in Japan in May this year (2010) and have a free day in Osaka, and another free day in Tokyo.

I would like assistance to identify the names and locations with public displays of Netsuke items.

I am thinking of public museums and/or art/craft exhibitions.

All recommendations will be appreciated.

:)

Thank you.

What good news! I hope that you have a wonderful time!!!

Check on the listings at this web site: Koryuen: Site for More Appreciation of Netuske You might also email Ms. Komada Makiko for more current updates, her email address is provided on the home page.

What brings you to Japan? If you have time while in the Osaka area to travel to Kyoto, if it has a show open you must go to Kyoto Seishu Netsuke Art Museum. Check on its website for the open periods. It has a huge netsuke collection on display when it is open, and is a beautiful building and setting, being a renovated samurai residence from centuries ago.

Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum "The Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum is the first museum in Japan to take as its permanent collection metalwork, cloisonne, makie lacquerware and Kyoto Satsuma Ware artworks of the late Edo and Meiji period." The Carving Path member Jim Kelso has work in the owner's collection which on occasion is on display, I believe, at this museum.

This museum is located down hill from Kiyomizu Temple, which you should make time to walk up to and through. This Page has photos of the Sannenzaka Museum and the temple.

I am always hoping that I will be able to return to Japan. Good wishes to you for a wonderful trip!

Janel

Archived