some more old iron

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Hi all,

finally got these images sort of acceptable. Both carved and inlayed in steel. Touches of gold, silver shakudo (pupils ) mother of pearl ( snail shell ) shibuichi for the snails body. The Iris was made abot 6 or 7 years ago and the Daruma was done last year.

now i`m off to bed, thank you and good night.

Ford

Guest DFogg

Oh my. They are wonderful.

Question, did you upset the rims or carve away the background? I really like these. Thanks. Do you have an online gallery set up yet? I would be happy to do one for you on my website if you would like. Let me know.

Keep them coming please.

Don

Guest ford hallam

Thank you Don, Jim

I generally upst the rims of my solid plate tsuba, although I inevitably taper the face from the seppa-dai ( oval area surrounding keyhole, where handle will sit ) to the edge. One more way of expressing the subtlties of form. Perfectly flat plate can appear quite awkward, to me anyway.

I don`t have a site up, don`t know when/if I will. Too much metal to carve. I`d be very pleased to house a collection of images on your site though. Let me know how you want them, size etc, and where you want me to send them. Ta.

ford.

Guest ford hallam
how did u do the textures on both??

harley

well, the one with the radiating lines was made using the corner of a coarse cut flat file which had a safety edge on it ( ie the thin edge has no teeth cut into it ) File carefully and always towards the same imaginery point in the centre. This is done before the edge is upset (or rounded over by hammering on the corner)

The other one was finished to an even surface using water of ayre stones ( a kind of slate, from Scotland ), the edge upset and then the face carved and worked with punches.

Yes, Janel the process is a combination of removal and actually moving the metal around. Obviously there is a limit to how far it will move. The more regular and finer Ishime type grounds and generally produced using punches so no metal is removed.

any clearer? hope so.

Ford ;)

well, the one with the radiating lines was made using the corner of a coarse cut flat file which had a safety edge on it ( ie the thin edge has no teeth cut into it ) File carefully and always towards the same imaginery point in the centre. This is done before the edge is upset (or rounded over by hammering on the corner)

thanks i never thought of doing one like that:)

hide and watch the next one i do

i,ll bet if a grove were filed around it before the planishing of the edge started it could get really 3d

THANKS

harley

guard possum

The other one was finished to an even surface using water of ayre stones ( a kind of slate, from Scotland ), the edge upset and then the face carved and worked with punches.

Archived