Heron image

Guest Clive

Guest Clive

Tom said on another thread...When is Clive going to post images? Pressure is on, Clive...

While I'm strongly of the opinion that images of small tactile carvings is akin to seeing an image of a bottle of wine.... I'm going to post this image of a old carving of mine that I found on the net ... now please stop giving me grief ;):D

The material is mammoth and is about 6cm high.

post-75-1121397359.jpg

Guest ford hallam
images of small tactile carvings is akin to seeing an image of a bottle of wine....

Now you`ve popped the cork, we can drink it in. Much better!.

Did`nt you do a similar version in a whiter ivory?

Strong composition btw, seems to have presenting a story, bit like the frieze on the parthenon. ( well it was on the parthenon, then the Brits nicked it , but you get my drift, I hope )

I`m so proud of my little brother ;)

ford

Guest ford hallam

Morning bro,

Sorry about the short response to your heron, was in a bit of a rush "en route " to Londinium. It occred to me later while on the train that the more subtle aspects and textural qualities of the piece wer`nt very evident at all. A real pity. I imagine this is why you were reluctant to post a picture at all. To a certain extent we all have a similar handicap, though obviously some types of work are more accurately portrayed than others. one obvious help would be to show a bigger image, the one you posted was a little measily.

Ultimately though, this small scale medium is very much about an intimate and personal experience for the beholder/handler. This format is at best window shopping, there is nothing quite like the old fashioned " try before you buy " approach. Appraising a work of art in this way is a bit like choosing a bride from a photograph. And that`s difficult enough in the flesh!

need more tea, ciao

Ford ;)

Archived