Snowshoe rabbit

Mark Strom

It has been awhile since I have posted anything so here is my latest personal project. The material is basswood and the dimensions are roughly 10"h x 22"w x 1 3/4d. Not exactly small for some but definitely is for me. I guess the real small is in all the details and in the sanding. I am having to use scrapers, 1mm carving tools and attaching sandpaper to dowels etc. Definitely something different for me.

The project is still far from complete. There is still a great deal of detail work. Most of the branches have to be cut free from the background and bark carved with details. The fur has to be grouped, undercut and then fine tuned. I am thinking about carving hemlock foliage behind the branches, we will see. The thought is to bleach the snow and the rabbit white and then lightly stain or wash the rest.

A work in progress and because it is for me I am just letting it take me where it will. All comments are welcome.

Mark

post-727-1269043850.jpg

post-727-1269043873.jpg

Hi Mark,

It sure is good that you have time for a personal project now and then. This winter scene carved in deep relief is a pleasure to see in progress.

One could well imagine the difficulties you are facing with sanding some deeply carved areas. My eyes delight in the movement caused by the composition, differently paced as attention is drawn along the snow to the branches, and then to the rabbit. The use of texture, light and shadow are very successful in differentiation between snow, fur, bark, etc. I especially like the transition and difference between the snow and the tree bark.

It is a real treat to see your work again! Thank you for sharing these photos. I hope that you will share more as this progresses.

I also enjoy seeing some of your tools in the photo.

Janel

Mark,

I like your work and this style of carving and I'm glad you posted your progress. Hopefully you'll discover ways of creating your textures with a minimal of sanding. On my projects I don't mind the sanding as much as the dust.

Small/large is a relative term. Your carving is large compared to Janel's but very small compared to Mt. Rushmore. The diversity is refreshing.

Our cottontails had a great winter feeding on horse hay and cuddling up to the heated stock tank. Babies galore real soon and hopefully some photo opportunities.

John

Thanks for all the support for my efforts.

The textures have been difficult as the material is soft. Subtle lines and shapes are easily lost due to having to lightly sand or crumbling, I will keep at it until it comes out right. I hope to keep sanding to a minimum. It took me years to get away from sanding and to be able to integrate carving marks into the design of the work.

I have been working on this off and on for a year now so there is no rush. I am thinking about working it a little further and then starting another carving of some sort...let my vision become clearer and return with fresh eyes. Again thanks and you will be seeing the finished piece .

Mark

The bark, the undercutted branches, the fur and the snow.....I am very impressed

of all this superb carved surfaces !!!

Thank You Mark B) You changed a simple board, into a wonderful and fascinating composition !

I am delighted to discover this on TCP at this sunday morning !

Cornel

Mark, love the rabbit.

In truth I love all releif carvings at any level. Always have, always will.

There is just somethingabout them that have just made me stop and gaze.

No one can ever say from this day forth, that you never pulled a rabbit out of a stump.

Well done my friend.

Bill

Archived