Toadsticker Shiv

tsterling

Finally got off my duff and finished up a few I've been working (stalling) on. I call this one the Toadsticker Shiv. 5 3/8 inch 1080 forged and filed carbon steel blade (full tang), carved and engraved 25% shibuichi scales with copper pins, 9 3/4 inches overall length. I agonized between calling it the "Froggy Shiv" or "Toadsticker Shiv," the meaner-sounding name won out.

post-11-1269970408.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi Tom,

I like this one very much - (I'm not so sure if the name fits, but what's in a name?). The knife itself is nicely done. I quite like the concept and your rendering of it. The top view of the frog swimming is way cool! The overall

flow of the elements is excellent. Good Job!

Do you have any photos of this in process - I think I could learn a lot from this one as a tutorial.

Thanks for sharing,

~Magnus~

Thanks for the kind words, folks! I appreciate the feedback.

Do you have any photos of this in process - I think I could learn a lot from this one as a tutorial.

~Magnus~

Hi Magnus,

Sorry, I didn't take any interim photos while making this fellow, but I did a similar tutorial about carving metal, whcih is almost identical to what I did on the Toadsticker. I did use some punches on the Toadsticker that I didn't know how to do when I made the tutorial - these are simply small 1/8 inch diameter steel rods with a smooth, rounded face (various sized faces) that fit in my Lindsay Airgraver and move metal around rather than removing it.

Here's the link: http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/index....ic=1678&hl=

Hope this helps... :blink:

Archived