Bronze casting from New Zealand

olivier

Kia ora!

I do not really carve... I model, sculpt and carve in wax.... I love wax as a medium. It can be modelled like clay, painted on in its lquid form, carved with a hot knife, welded, melted, burnished.... It is strong enough to sustain its own weight and does not require an armature.... Then I cast the sculpture in bronze...

Example:

post-2449-1270270082.jpg post-2449-1270270153.jpg post-2449-1270270216.jpg

I also publish a Bronze Casting Manual teaching people how to cast their own small bronze by themselves. I spend much time on various sculpture related forums to find out what problems people are having when casting in bronze... I hope I can contribute here too.

If you have any question related to bronze casting, please fire away...I'll be glad to help if I can.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum Olivier!

Thank you for offering your expertise. You make working with wax sound very appealing! Do you think ahead when you are working with the wax that what you do will be in bronze, and do things with the form that will work to enhance the metal and patina?

Janel

Olivier

Welcome :blink:

Bronze casting is some thing I have wanted to try but have never got around to. Wax is a material I have used a lot over the years and have always enjoyed using. At work I used to cast gold and occasionally silver not that that was my prime occupation.

I would love to make use of your expertise using your bronze casting manual.

Toothy

Olivier,

Nice indeed.

I am presently working toward a project which I hope will end up having me casting in pewter.

I have never made molds before so this will be and has been interesting for me.

I am not an netsuke carver ,more toward releif in wood, however the pull to this forums friendship and gifted world carvers is a strong force of inspiration.

Bill

G'day Olivier,

Had a quick look at your website. You obviously love the female figure (so do I, ha ha). Wish I had a tenth of your talent mate !

And your drawings are exquisite. How long have you been drawing and sculpting in bronze ? How did you learn and start off ?

Cheers

Mike.

Archived