Beef Bone Barramundi

laz

This is about my fourth attempt at bone carving I'm self taught .It's a bit primitive ( there is a few things wrong with it) not up to the standards i see on this forum but the main thing is i enjoyed doing it and learnt a few things as i went along . post-2436-1270874588.jpg

Laz,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you think something is wrong with it, then there is.

If you feel you took it as far as you could, then there it is.

If you have learned, and feel you will do better at your next project, you no doubt will.

Perhaps I am a man with simple taste, or an open mind.

But I think your piece is as unique as any other, and will hold it's own rewards. If you keep it, or sell it, or give it away , "it" will always be a treasure to someone.

What more could anyone ask for.

Bill

Hi Laz,

I don't see anything here I would call wrong - there is nothing wrong with "primitive", stylized or simple. This fish has a lot to offer. I especially like the overall shape and the feeling of movement I get from the body. No doubt your work will progress in many ways as you continue - as long as you have a vision your hands will learn follow it. Thank you for posting.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work.

~Magnus~

Looks good to me. Nice finish. I have trouble with that.

John

G'day John thanks for your reply.If by finish you mean polish all i used to finish / polish the Barramundi carving was a metal polish called Brasso not sure if its available in America .

Laurence

Hi laz,

Thank you for posting the photo. What are the things you see as wrong with this bone carving? What would you do differently next time?

Janel

G'day Janel. I'm not real happy with the way i did the scales of the Barramundi also with the eyes i would have preferred to use something organic instead of using glass beads maybe red Coral or Amber but at the time have none these items . I wish i had put a bit more thought into the fins to emphasise movement .

Regards

Laurence

It is a fine day here and I hope for you as well!

Thank you for identifying the things about the Barramundi that you see could have been done differently. That you can see potential changes means that you are on a path of growth with each piece, and are in for an exciting journey.

Janel

G'day Janel. I'm not real happy with the way i did the scales of the Barramundi also with the eyes i would have preferred to use something organic instead of using glass beads maybe red Coral or Amber but at the time have none these items . I wish i had put a bit more thought into the fins to emphasise movement .

Regards

Laurence

Hi ya mate!

I'm in Qld too! Just down the road from brissie. About the barra and the eyes! I have used cow or buff. horn and even some MOP shell (black) and I have found a piece of Ebony. Next I thought I would try some really old Iron bark from an old bridge that was rebuilt with concrete. Have used this timber on some of my tool handles and it's bl....y hard as hell. If you need any help drop me a line.

Cheers

Ron

My site:- http://www.etsy.com/shop/dragonrising

Hi ya mate!

I'm in Qld too! Just down the road from brissie. About the barra and the eyes! I have used cow or buff. horn and even some MOP shell (black) and I have found a piece of Ebony. Next I thought I would try some really old Iron bark from an old bridge that was rebuilt with concrete. Have used this timber on some of my tool handles and it's bl....y hard as hell. If you need any help drop me a line.

Cheers

Ron

My site:- http://www.etsy.com/shop/dragonrising

G'day mate . I live just west of Rock - Vegas .Any way thanks for ya offer of help .Do you know how to stop pigs tusks form splitting i have been given a few tusks and i am going to try carve them as well. Most of the lower tusks were cracked whilst the grinders ( upper tusks ) are ok . I have removed the enamel with a grinding stone with out burning / over heating the tusk . I have also got my self some different carving materials like Soapstone ,Red Deer Antler, Goat Horn,Sheep Horn,Emu Egg ,Ostrich Egg .My wife also brought me a large saltwater croc tooth . So Ive got a few items to choose from.

Regards

Laurence

Archived