Who Am I

nz yank

Terry Urban has carved in various mediums for over 20 years, but now works exclusively with New Zealand Greenstone. He lives in Richmond, Nelson with his carver wife Ruth. It is here, close to the inspiring Kahurangi and Abel Tasman National Parks that they established The Jade Studio. Terry has a passion for creating new and innovative designs that captivate the imagination and intrigue customers worldwide. He has a deep connection with the natural and spiritual worlds and this is often reflected in his work. He is deeply respectful of, and passionate about pounamu, which he believes has a very powerful energy. To quote Terry, “I don’t think of what I do as ‘work’, I go out to the studio every day and ‘have fun’. When I’m carving, I’m so immersed in what I’m doing, I totally lose track of time. If carving ever stops being fun, I just won’t do it anymore.” Terry and Ruth love talking to people about their ‘stones’, so they can still be found at the Nelson Market every Saturday morning. If you are ever in the area pop in and see them, either at the market or at their studio. They welcome guests and ‘the jug is always on.

Archived