Rifflers and detail rasps

-e-

I'm looking for a small detail riffler or rasp that will help cleanup and sharpen carved grooves in small turnings. All the rifflers I've used so far are TOO course. Right now I'm using sandpaper glued to a stick but this makes my hands hurts.

Does anyone have suggestions and source for good detailed rifflers?

thanks

e

As I do not know what material you are useing I will shoot this one out anyway.

For fine detail in wood and plaster I have made small scribing, scratching, scraping tools out of variouse sized "sewing needles".

Use whatever you wish for a sized handle, usually wood, sink the needle into it by tapping with a hammer to a depth that will secure it well. Ensure you leave enough sticking out to shape.

What you are left with is the thickness of the needle and "eye" -- to shape as you please with a dremel tool, or other such.

With a wide variety of needles and sizes you may be able to come up with what you need.

I am sure these would work well in soapstone and other softer materials.

I also use this in scribing plaster, but here I just stuck the needle into the end of a pencil right through the eraser.

(Sort of a quick response for what I needed at the time) -- but it did the job for me just fine.

I have never tried sewing machine needles but I have thought about it.

The steel may not take to bending to much, but there are those on the forum that have great metal knowledge and I am sure they could lend some advice there.

Don't know if this will help you, but with any luck it may help somebody.

Safety first --

All the best.

Bill

I'm looking for a small detail riffler or rasp that will help cleanup and sharpen carved grooves in small turnings. All the rifflers I've used so far are TOO course. Right now I'm using sandpaper glued to a stick but this makes my hands hurts.

Does anyone have suggestions and source for good detailed rifflers?

thanks

e

Hi Deb's

Try this site :- http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/Produc...first_answer=31

This is a cheap set. They have another set on here but they are pretty dear. There are others on Ebay.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a small detail riffler or rasp that will help cleanup and sharpencarved grooves in small turnings.

Hi, I dont know what you want to cleanup, either bone stone or wood, but I work with a stone (Argillite) and have found an alternative to hand rasping.

I use a vibrating etching tool. I take out the tool-piece and replace it with a (either) hand made tool (a nail split about 5-10mm--1/2inch) or a perpose built fitting, and insert a piece of diamond rubbing cloth. Usually 300-600 grit. This cloth needs to be doubled over, and sometimes I attach it with a bit of ( I use Pratleys quick set clear) 2 pot mix. Easy to make and easy to use, and generally fits into most grooves I cut with my diamond points....CRH

• 5 months later...

Archived