Elephant

Bryan

Hello, I am new to this forum. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across it, to see the beautiful work of so many talented artists. I am not a professional carver, I do it as a hobby for my own enjoyment and I have worked mainly in wood. I hope to learn a lot from you all as I become more familiar with this site.

The elephant was carved in basswood, stained and varnished. The tusks are cow bone. Height is 5.5 cm.

Bryan.

Hello, I am new to this forum. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across it, to see the beautiful work of so many talented artists. I am not a professional carver, I do it as a hobby for my own enjoyment and I have worked mainly in wood. I hope to learn a lot from you all as I become more familiar with this site.

The elephant was carved in basswood, stained and varnished. The tusks are cow bone. Height is 5.5 cm.

Bryan.

Wonderful work, I wish I could do that.

yloh

Hello Bryan,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting the photos of the elephant you have carved. I am intrigued by it. The abstractions are significant, yet the character of 'elephant' form are very present. The simplest indication of a walking motion with the leg positions, the tail and back-end bulk, and what we expect to see in roundness all in angles and planes all keep me looking at it. I appreciate how you have interpreted a form we are so used to seeing in voluptuous bulk.

I hope that we can see more some time.

Again, welcome!

Janel

Archived