Mermaid

Hi Ron,

The strands of hair are very uniform. Is it possible to add more definition by carving some strands or loops at different levels rather than all out at the same surface, and by adding more lines to the strands to make them look more like hair?

Janel

Hi Ron,

The strands of hair are very uniform. Is it possible to add more definition by carving some strands or loops at different levels rather than all out at the same surface, and by adding more lines to the strands to make them look more like hair?

Janel

Hi Ron , I hope you don't mind me commenting, being a newby carver. Her nipple paint seems a bit bright in comparison to the rest of her whiteness.

Yep , hair is a tricky thing to carve , I agree with you Janel.

Take care Ron.

Naomi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ron,

Your mermaid is a great piece. I like the texture you used to represent fish scales. The varied color on the fish part is also interesting. The hair coloring is good also.

My wife, who is a professional artist, saw your posting, like the piece, and said that it was whimsical. My wife and sister-in-law both enjoy the art work on The Carving Path.

I not sure what you mean by "...what to do with this?". So, I will interpret that to mean how it is to be displayed or used.

First, it would make a nice pendant. Drill a small hole about 6 to 8 mm deep in the top of her head, cut an eye pin ( a jewelry finding you can get from a jewelry supply catalog or craft store) so that the eye is just on top of her head and the eye faces forward, and glue in place. Then add a 4 to 6 mm Jump Ring (also a jewelry finding) to the eye pin. Now it is ready to hang on a leather cord or fine chain necklace.

Second, mount her on a wood or stone base with a metal rod about 2 mm in diameter that extends above the base about 60 mm. Then drill a hole in the bottom of the mermaid and mount. You may want to experiment with the height of the mermaid above the base.

Personally, I like the coiffure that you gave her; however, there is an excellent thread on carving hair on The Carving Path (Click: Hair How?) that may be useful in future carvings.

Thank you for sharing your mermaid with us.

Archived