Mammoth Tooth Sedna

This carving is made from a third molar of a woolly mammoth. It depicts my interpretation of Sedna, the powerful seal woman who according to Inuit legend inhabits the waters of the the far north.

Her hair is the root of the tooth that carves much like ivory. Carving the enamel plates requires carbide an diamond burrs. I carved the crystal for her to rest in. The musk ox is carved from a large tooth with mammoth ivory horns and legs made from old bone.

post-2114-1275548253.jpg

post-2114-1275548290.jpg

The roots are like ivory and easy to carve. Some teeth are harder than others but you can carve them all dry with carbide. I am carving a Russian tooth now and it is very solid.It is best to avoid teeth that are not from the north because some of most of them the original material has been replaced and the others are very chalky. When I get a tooth I pour thin C/A glue in it and do not carve it for a year unless i know it is dry.

Natasha I would love to see you work your magic on a tooth.

Thank You very much for the information about tooth, some day I'll try it! ;) I like the way, how it was done by You, a lot of freedom!

Yes, You are right mammoth tooth and tusk often have chalk, C/A glue is a variant, but it doesn't go deeply into tusk or tooth. That's why You should use this glue very often.

Good luck!

Archived