Sign in to follow this  
Brett the bonecarver

Little Rat

Going to try and put a picture up for you guys, This is a hairpik on a 13cm shaft made for a woman born of the year of the rat. She has quite the collection of piks.

Size is approx2.8-3.0cm diameter. Made beginning of 2003, 100% by hand.

I never use power tools on the mammoth ivory or any other kinds of ivory as its just too precious and messes with the energy of the finished piece.

post-129-1122059491.jpg

post-129-1122059532.jpg

post-129-1122059576.jpg

Great macro shot! Easy to see the work this way. The patterning in the mammoth is quite distinct. What is the diameter of the rat?

I had to try to figure out how you wrapped the rat around itself. Scrunch! It is quite a trick to know what you want the figure to do, but to make it go beyond normal is challenging. What fun, well done!

Janel

Size of the little rat is 3 cm diameter, I hadn't seen this picture so big before and it shows up all the rough bits you dont see real size, kind of embarasing.

I put the platted string rapt around where the shaft enters the base so to have a border of sorts and seperate the two. Shaft is 13cm long.

The design I took from a netsuke book so I cant claim that one but was so much fun to carve.

Peace, Brett

You said: "I hadn't seen this picture so big before and it shows up all the rough bits you dont see real size"...

When a macro shot fills the computer screen, one's perspective of the item being shown is changed, and you see ALL of the things you didn't realize were there! Rather instructional its own way :) .

Thanks for the images :) ,

Janel