intro

kenneth neaves

hello to all of you,my name is kenneth neaves.i live in the mountains of north carolina.i have been carving gemstones since 1968.before that i did a little woodcarving.i am not good with a computor so you all will have to overlook my mistakes.in the late 70's and early 80's i did a lot of the gem shows,mostly on the east coast.in the 80's we adopted my grandaughter and when she started school we had to quit the shows.i still carve gemstones and i have some websites.there is a website where you can see some of my work,it is not a commerical website.the name of the site is wwwamericanmastersofstone.com under artists.they are compiling a data base of american gem carvers before we all die out.there are a lot of carvers on this site.i have been reading this forum for some time now and will be happy to help anyone learn to carve gemstones and i will try to answer any questions that i can.the first thing i would like to point out to all of you is for you to learn is that working with some stones can be dangerous.i have always carved dry,using a dust mask.i have been very sick twice from malachite dust.some shells and coral is bad to.if i can help any of you with carving please let me know.best regards and hello to all of you,ken

hello to all of you,my name is kenneth neaves.i live in the mountains of north carolina.i have been carving gemstones since 1968.before that i did a little woodcarving.i am not good with a computor so you all will have to overlook my mistakes.in the late 70's and early 80's i did a lot of the gem shows,mostly on the east coast.in the 80's we adopted my grandaughter and when she started school we had to quit the shows.i still carve gemstones and i have some websites.there is a website where you can see some of my work,it is not a commerical website.the name of the site is wwwamericanmastersofstone.com under artists.they are compiling a data base of american gem carvers before we all die out.there are a lot of carvers on this site.i have been reading this forum for some time now and will be happy to help anyone learn to carve gemstones and i will try to answer any questions that i can.the first thing i would like to point out to all of you is for you to learn is that working with some stones can be dangerous.i have always carved dry,using a dust mask.i have been very sick twice from malachite dust.some shells and coral is bad to.if i can help any of you with carving please let me know.best regards and hello to all of you,ken

Welcome Ken!

I'm sure the members will only to happy to take you up on the offer of help and thank you for your generosity!

Cheers

Ron

Hello Kenneth.

I am Johanna from Australia and I work in glass. I too work dry and wear a mask and when I an cutting the glass deeply, have a vacuum cleaner hose close to the piece that I am working with and the vacuum cleaner going. This helps to take the dust away. Sometimes I also work out on my back verandah with a fan blowing from the side, which helps to disperse the dust as well.

I learned to do this when I was playing with Ostrich eggs. I found that with these, even with a dust mask on, I would become quite ill from the effects of the dust.

Hello Kenneth.

I am Johanna from Australia and I work in glass. I too work dry and wear a mask and when I an cutting the glass deeply, have a vacuum cleaner hose close to the piece that I am working with and the vacuum cleaner going. This helps to take the dust away. Sometimes I also work out on my back verandah with a fan blowing from the side, which helps to disperse the dust as well.

I learned to do this when I was playing with Ostrich eggs. I found that with these, even with a dust mask on, I would become quite ill from the effects of the dust.

johanna,be very careful of the glass dust and the little slivers that can fly off.once i was working with an apache tear and all at once it exploded from internal pressure and it filled my eyes with little slivers even with me wearing safety glasses.always any little piece that flys off will go for your eyes.best regards,ken

Thank you for the advise Ken, but I am very aware of that problem. You have to be very careful of the type of glass that you use. If it has been toughened, it can and will explode if you try to cut it and sometimes the friction will cause it to explode as well.

I have a good friend here where I live who used to do lead light work and he points me in the right direction.

This is a side for the jewellery box that I am making at the moment.

post-2543-1280297518.jpg

Thank you for the advise Ken, but I am very aware of that problem. You have to be very careful of the type of glass that you use. If it has been toughened, it can and will explode if you try to cut it and sometimes the friction will cause it to explode as well.

I have a good friend here where I live who used to do lead light work and he points me in the right direction.

This is a side for the jewellery box that I am making at the moment.

johanna,very nice work.best regards,ken

Archived