White Gold/ tourmaline Pendant Bead

Hi All,

Just finished a new Pendant Bead for stock. This one is in 14 kt. irridium white gold. It is set with a trillion cut blue green tourmaline , another blue green tourmaline bullet cut stone, a rather rare quartz called a gem silica chryscolla on top (it doesn't show so well in the photos, but this stone is truly translucent - you have to move it in the light to appreciate - it is like looking into a wee bit of tropical ocean) and a purple sapphire on the back. I bead set and bright cut 9 diamonds in the front as well. All the coloured stones are hammer set in bezels.

Magnus

post-239-1280897804.jpg

post-239-1280897854.jpg

post-239-1280897871.jpg

post-239-1280897892.jpg

Magnus:

Another exquisite piece of work. I always look forward to seeing your pieces, there's always something unexpected.

I have a little gem silica, mine is far greener than yours. It's funny how much variety there can be in the same stone.

On the technical side, what kind of wax do you prefer to carve? I have had bad luck with the Kerr blue carving wax, as you can't add to it easily. I've been carving the injection wax, since the shrinkage is so much less when it cools, but it is so brittle.

Wishing you all the best.

Debbie K

Hi,

Thank you all for your kind words - the feedback is appreciated.

Debbie - I use Ferris Green carving wax - I find it holds the sharpest detail with the least distortion - is not very flexible but is strong as wax goes and melts without losing too much of the good properties. In my injections I use a mix of purple and green carving wax - you may have to adjust your wax pot internally to get a high enough temperature to melt and inject, but it is well worth it as you can recarve and remodel quite readily this way.

Happy Carving All,

Magnus

• 1 month later...

magnus,love the gem silica chrysocolla cab.when you said it was rare you should have said RARE as hens teeth.i have been in the gemstone business since 1968 and did a lot of gemshows,even the tucson show.this stuff comes from this area and one time a kid came to our motel with a little in a cigar box.it was all small pieces that would only carve small flowers.i bought all he had and he promised to let me know when he got some more.that was in the late 70's and i am still waiting.i have a cameo that i carved from gem silica that weighs 42 cts.everyone that has seen it says it is one of the finest.beautiful gemstones and very RARE.sometime i will try to post a picture.best regards,ken

Hello Ken,

Thanks for posting a photo of your carving - That has to be probably the best peice of gem silica chrysocolla I've seen.

I'd have to see it in person to say for sure, but the size is tremendous and it looks quite translucent - and obviously stable!

I saw some stuff for sale at Tucson a few years ago that was pretty nice loking, but would crack as it dried out - like bad opal - it was being sold as gem silica but I don't see how it could be the same.

By the way, the good material can sell for $100.00 per ct. wholesale in smallish cabs.

Happy carving,

Magnus

Archived