Counterfeit Foredom?

Stu

Hi,

Found this on eBay UK and though it was worth mentioning:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDOM-S-R-Flex-Shaf...elleryMaking_GL

It's less that half the price you'd expect to pay in the UK, plus the label on it is spelt 'Fordom' and not 'Foredom' so I suspect it's not the real deal. Like they say, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is!

I'd love for someone to tell me it is for real though - cos I'd probably order one at that price.....

Stu

Hi Stu.

This one i would leave well alone, I'm not an expert but it just doesn't seem the real deal. I could be wrong, maybe some of the other carvers using foredom could make a judgement.

I starterd out with an Axminster unit. Link below. I'm still using the motor after many years and still the origional brushes keep on going. The handpiece supplied with this unit was ok for a while but on speaking to Clive Hallam he suggested buying a Fordom handpiece wich are superb quality. I opted for a quick change unit, money well spent. The foredom handpiece is so much more precise..

It's always the same choosing tools, everyone has their own favourites.

Hope this helps.

bye for now ...Russell

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axmin...unit-prod20091/

http://www.foredom.net/h10dduplexhandpiece.aspx

Russell,

The Axmister unit looks like a great option - hadn't seen that one before. Are all the Foredeom heads directly interchangeable with it, or do you need some kind of adapter (or a Foredom flex shaft?)?

The eBay one will probably do the job - just don't like buying something that's pretending to be something it isn't!

Many thanks

Stu

Hi Stu,

Sorry for the late reply. Most of the foredom handpieces will fit straight onto the Axminster unit. If you check the foredom main site there are two styles that may not, slip joint and square drive handpieces. Do you have a handpiece or one in mind to purcahse.?

I used a cheap handpiece for a while and then purchased a duplex spring attachment to make it more flexible. It wasn't a foredom duplex but worked ok. Once I aquired the foredom handpiece with the duplex spring attached the difference was quite obvious, again money well spent. Also if the cheap motor unit goes wrong will you have to send it back to Israel....Long wayyyyyyyy.....

Kenneth has a point with his post, sometimes these cheaper items may do the job...The axminster model is a little closer to home.

Feel free to email me if you want to chat on the phone Stu...

Bye for now.. Russell

• 3 weeks later...

Being an old China hand I can assure you that this is a "copy Foredom" most likely made in China. There were similar machines being sold here in the U.S. along the lines of the older style Foredom, prior to their new permanent magnet motor style. The old “copy Foredom” looked great and more than a few friends purchased them against my advice, they got their fifty bucks worth, most of the motors were burnt out within a month or two.

I have used Foredom machines since 1978, used the first one until about 1995 got a new one and passed the old one on to my nephew, as far as I know its still running 32 years later. Buy a real Foredom if you want a lifetime machine, the cost seems high at first but ten or twenty years later when you are still using it, you think to yourself ........... That’s some of the best money I ever spent!!

All my best ......... Danny

Archived