gemstone carvings

hello to all of you,i have been trying to figure out how to post pictures of some of my gemstone carvings on here but have not been able to.you can see some of my carvings at www.americanmastersofstone.com under artists.my name is listed as kenneth neaves.i have a lot of pictures of my work on my computer but i am not good at using a computer.maybe some day i will learn how to post pictures.i enjoy seeing the pictures of all of you carvers' work on here.best regards to all of you,ken

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenneth:

I'm familiar with your work: I saw examples of it on Daniel Lopacki's website. I do similar kind of of work, see my stuff at http://picasaweb.google.com/deborahkirkpatrick56

I'm surprised that you are on the intarsia website, since your work is primarily 3-D.

I'm glad to see you here, I think you do very good work. I'd love to know how you get such good fits and seams in three dimensions. I'll be posting new work soon here, I just need to finish polishing things and put them together. They're already carved as much as they're going to be, just have to do all that final hard work.

Are you in Arizona or New Mexico? I'm in Texas.

Debbie K

[dquote name=Debbie K' date='Aug 17 2010, 12:08 PM' post='19189]

Kenneth:

I'm familiar with your work: I saw examples of it on Daniel Lopacki's website. I do similar kind of of work, see my stuff at http://picasaweb.google.com/deborahkirkpatrick56

I'm surprised that you are on the intarsia website, since your work is primarily 3-D.

I'm glad to see you here, I think you do very good work. I'd love to know how you get such good fits and seams in three dimensions. I'll be posting new work soon here, I just need to finish polishing things and put them together. They're already carved as much as they're going to be, just have to do all that final hard work.

Are you in Arizona or New Mexico? I'm in Texas.

Debbie K

debbie,americanmastersofstone accepts work that is assembled using two or more different gemstones.if it is carved from only one gemstone they won't accept it.one of the finest gemstone carvers that ever lived was bob harvill from texas,his carvings were from one gemstone and they won't put his work on the site.i live in the mountains of north carolina.i have been carving gemstones since 1968 and still carve a few pieces.my website is hillbillygemsandgemstonecarvings.com looks like you do some very fine work,i love to see other carvers work and talk with them about carving.best regards,ken

hello to all of you,i finally got two of my gemstone carvings posted.thanks to janel for her kindness in sizeing them for me.i am not very good with a computer.i didn't put what they are carved from on because i didn't know if they would post or not.i have had people to ask me if they are painted.they are carved in pieces from 100 percent natural gemstone material and them assembled using epoxy.the morning glory-flowers are opal,rhodonite,and turquoise.leaves-chrysoprase.stem and base-petrified wood.vine is 14kt gold.clown--hat-black opal potch with white opal band.head and hands-quartzite.eyes-black jade.mouth and nose-red coral.bowtie-lapis.coat-jasper.shirt-variscite.accordian-opal and black jade.belt-jasper.pants-obsidian.shoes-jasper.base-pink marble.hope you all enjoy seeing these.best regards,ken

Hi Ken.

Even though these aren't really my cup of tea, I do think they are wonderful. A delightful combination of some lovely gems that result in a great carving for someone to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing, Billy.

• 2 weeks later...

hello to all,i am going to try to post a picture of one of my latest gemstone carvings and i hope that janel will be kind enough to shrink it to the right size for me.you all will have to foregive me when i mess up posting something.i am 69 years old and have had heart valve replacements twice.i am slow and not very good with a computer.all of you would get a laugh seeing me hunting and pecking with one finger.this carving took me two years to complete,hope i can get it posted.it is carved from the following gemstones-hat is petrified palmwood with epidote band.hair is lemon yellow opal.face,hands,and legs are pink chalcedony.eyes are sapphires.dress is adventure with opal trim.shoes are black jade.cart is petrified palm wood.flowers are australian and mexican opal with chrysoprase leaves and 14kt.gold stems.pots are jasper and unakite.water can is tourmaline.base is petrified wood.hope you all like this one.best regards,ken

post-2-1283745749.jpg

Kenneth,

I just had to put up a few better images of your work so people could get a better idea of the quality of the work you do. As I told you early on in our friendship Faberge would have welcomed you with open arms as a carver in his studio. I would love to have the chance someday to see your work in person .......... One never knows.

All my best .............. Danny

post-2604-1283807312.jpg

post-2604-1283807347.jpg

post-2604-1283807393.jpg

post-2604-1283807559.jpg

post-2604-1283807605.jpg

Kenneth,

I just had to put up a few better images of your work so people could get a better idea of the quality of the work you do. As I told you early on in our friendship Faberge would have welcomed you with open arms as a carver in his studio. I would love to have the chance someday to see your work in person .......... One never knows.

All my best .............. Danny

danny,thanks for putting them up.as i have said before i am not very good with a computer.best regards,ken

Thank you both for posting the photos. There must be so much thought and planning put into each of these pieces, and then the careful work must be done with the stones to create each part that must fit with the other parts. The daffodils are amazing with such deeply carved flowers with the extended petals.

Do you have a photo of the raw stones before beginning to carve the parts for one piece, sort of like a before and after photo? Do you draw out the different compositions before you begin, to have a plan of action for carving?

Janel

Thank you both for posting the photos. There must be so much thought and planning put into each of these pieces, and then the careful work must be done with the stones to create each part that must fit with the other parts. The daffodils are amazing with such deeply carved flowers with the extended petals.

Do you have a photo of the raw stones before beginning to carve the parts for one piece, sort of like a before and after photo? Do you draw out the different compositions before you begin, to have a plan of action for carving?

Janel

janel,thank you for your kind comments on the carvings.sorry,i don't have any photos of the raw stones before i start carving on them.my grandaughter takes the photos for me and she is away at college now.i start out carving a piece like the clowns from a picture in my head and carve it one piece at a time by trial and error,and there are always lots of errors.the flowers are most of the time carved from a picture in a book.best regards,ken

Kenneth,

I don't think there is a chance that you will wear out your welcome. I check the forum daily and am thrilled when I see new posts. I won't be posting any carvings soon and hesitate posting any of my other work as its out of place in this forum.

All my best .................... Danny

Kenneth:

Sorry I haven't responded to you sooner. My computer crashed about 3 weeks ago and I've been working off of a borrowed computer and had a hard time with logging in and my password, etc. But I have a computer again and will be able to post.

I really like the girl with the flower cart, the daffodils and the last flowers you posted. What stone are the daffodils and flowers carved of (the yellow stone)?

I will be posting some new work soon, first I have to take pictures and get the computer and camera talking to each other. Hope you are doing well.

Debbie K

Archived