Kagami-buta 2nd attempt

Don Barnhill

Hi Don,

You seem to be having a good time with these. How did you attach the antler flower? These little turning projects are challenging with the degree of control one must have with the tools

About the photo quality from your most recent photos... do you know about matching the white balance with the sort of lighting that illuminates the area of the photo? We would be able to see the difference between the cherry and maple if the white balance setting were adjusted.

Janel

Janel, New camera and I don't know much about lighting, white balance and such things.

I attached the flower with epoxy 5 minute glue. I made a small depression in the top leaving it somewhat rough so the glue would adhere better. It's the same glue I use on my knives. I may try to inlay the next one, although there isn't much room for that.

My lathe is more than 30 years old, it as my dad's. I am seriously considering a newer one. What kind do you use? BTW, replacement parts are hard to find for the lathe I have.

I am enjoying making these little pieces and I have a new respect for the quality of work you are producing.

Thanks for the kind words.

Here's another photo

post-921-1282407568.jpg

I have a used Jet Mini lathe, 10 x 14 (could turn a piece ten inches in diameter, or 14 inches in length). I have full sized tools, well, not for really big work, but up to 1/2 inch bowl gouges and spindle gouges. About the old lathe, if it has a standard morris taper (or what ever degree and length the taper is for your machine) and thread for attachments, you may not need to buy the company logo attachments. You might find helpful suggestions on the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) web forum. I've never taken time to browse there, so I don't know for sure. Wood turners seem to be a very helpful lot. Is there a woodturning chapter where you live?

Is the camera a point and shoot or a complicated large one? Does it have a dial or a selection for light bulbs, fluorescent or daylight kinds of light? One tip, when taking a photo, if you have both fluorescent and incandescent bulbs on at the same time, the camera will not get it right which ever setting it is on. Use one source or another. Same goes for one kind of light/lamp source mixed with daylight from a window. All offer a different sort of light which the camera sees and interprets differently than our eyes do.

Try to put a sheet of truly white paper under the wood piece you are going to take a photo of. Take the photo, then see if the white paper looks white or not. It might be a clue that the white balance setting and the light source are not matched for the best results.

Janel

The camera is an Olympus SP 590UZ. It has many more features than I know how to work. I did have both flourescent and incandescent lights on at the time.

I turn the bowl on the lathe and use a forstner bit to make the hole in it. The bit is allowed to penetrate slightly through the bottom which also makes a little hole in the center. Care is needed to make certain you don't allow the bit to go too deep. I have a stop on my drill press to do that. Then I took a hole saw and made a cut which leaves a lip for the lid to rest on. As they say, neccessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for the help.

I don't really know, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me the it would hurt the lathe to turn wood on it. It makes bits and pieces of metal when you turn metal does it not? Wouldn't that hurt he lathe more than sawdust? It shouldn't enter any place that the metal won't go.

Archived