petrified wood fiddle

kenneth neaves

debbie,thanks for your reply,i may try a bow using black coral.i always dread working jade.i carve dry and jade gets very hot and burns my fingers when i carve it or sand it.i once carved a flamingo from black jade,it was over 12 inches tall.before i was finished with it i was about ready to take a hammer to it.thanks and best regards,ken

• 2 weeks later...

Kenneth:

Looking forward to seeing it! Sorry to waste your time with the coral, it was the only other thing I could think of that wasn't very fragile.

I'm having computer problems and can't post any photos right now. I have 4 completed pieces that I would show you guys, but it'll have to wait. All I can do with this computer right now is surf the internet and check my emails.

Debbie K

debbie,i was going to post this for you being you are from texas.i keep forgeting it.in the 60's there was an article about robert harvill's carvings in the lapidary journal.bob was from down near corpus christi.he was one of the finest gemstone carvers that ever lived.i think you can still pull up an article about him in the march 1964 edition of popular mechanics.his carving in jade-the old man planting a tree-and the ruby carving of-the good samaritan-are truly fine carvings.best i remember a doctor and his wife bought bob's carvings before he died and donated them to the museum at corpus christi.check it out.best regards,ken

debbie,you have not been on today so i assume you are having computer problems.i have a lot of them,most of them my fault for not knowing what i am doing.i have 3 websites set up.my daughter set the first one up,i watched her set it up and thought i could set one up.i got it set up perfect,even the pictures and i was really proud of it and all at once the darn computer ate it.i have never been able to get it set up yet. i have been cutting out the shirt for my fiddle player the last 2 days.anything that big i use my saw as a grinding wheel,not to bright of an idea.the shirt is out of dinosaur bone.it will take a long time to get it finished.the entire carving will be about 12 inches tall.hope you can get the pictures of your latest work on soon.best regards,ken

Kenneth:

I went on search engines looking for Robert Harvill and the only thing that I found was a mention of his receiving an award. I guess the next thing to do is to look for stone carvings in the Corpus museums. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Debbie K

Kenneth:

I went on search engines looking for Robert Harvill and the only thing that I found was a mention of his receiving an award. I guess the next thing to do is to look for stone carvings in the Corpus museums. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Debbie K

debbie, on google type in robert harvill gemstone carvings and it will pull up an article on him that was wrote in 1964.best regards,ken

:) hello to all of you,nobody much talking today.i have been working on my fiddle player.i worked most of yesterday carving a 14kt.gold belt buckle for it. 6 mm.wide by 11mm.long.my fingers are so sore that i can't hardly use them.gold gets awful hot holding it with your fingers.not very bright is it?best regards to all of you,ken

:rolleyes: hello to all of you,worked all day saturday sanding on the fiddle player.i will be able to put him together soon. i have to take the fiddle to a friend of mine and have him put the strings on,he has a laser welder.then i have to make a base for it.he will be about 11 or 12 inches tall and it will take a big base for him.best regards to all of you,ken

hello to all of you,i got the fiddle strings welded to the tuning pegs a while ago.they are less than one mm. thick.not a lot of jewelers can solder something that small.he is steve segraves.he does some of the gold work for me,he is casting a stem for an orchid arrangement for me now.he has a laser welder and they are very nice for small work.hope to be able to put the fiddle player together soon.best regards,ken

:rolleyes: hello to all of you,i got the gold strings put on the fiddle yesterday and have been putting the fiddle player together today.got him done except for the shoes and base.hope to finish him soon.i am going to wait until i get another carving together before i have any pictures made.the other carving is done except for the gold stem and it has to be cast.hope to have both done soon.best regards to you all,ken

:rolleyes: hello to all of you,i have been drilling the base for the fiddle player this morning.the shoes are carved from black jade and have pegs on top of them to fit up in the breeches legs and have pegs on the bottom to fit down in the base.it is trickey to keep all the pieces in place to tell what you are doing.i wish i could have taken pictures of the different stages of carving this piece but i couldn't.i am having to mount it on a large petrified wood slab to keep it from falling over,it is about 12 inches tall.i have put a fiddle player around the fiddle now and he is about finished.i will post a picture of him as soon as i can.best regards to all,ken

Archived