Boxwood

Brett the bonecarver

Brett,

I've had luck with Gilmer Wood company in the U.S. (www.gilmerwood.com) I don't know if they ship internationally, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Also, I don't know about NZ, but Australia is pretty restrictive about allowing import of wood with bark still on it, so if NZ has similar laws, you may have trouble buying half-logs (which is how Boxwood seems to be sold most often).

Hope this helps,

Kelly

Looking for a bit of boxwood to carve as I havn't tried this yet and everyone seems to have used it. I have a feeling its restricted but dont know so. Any hints??

Peace, Brett

Hi Brett

Try contacting Trend Timbers in Sydney, just a little closer to home and they have a fair range of materials. It may also get you around quarantine issues. www.trendtimbers.com.au

cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Brett,

You may want to have a look at an earlier thread about this topic (just scroll down back in time over the Materials forum topics). I recently made a big purchase from a wood dealer in Japan which I passed on to some members of the forum. There are dealers in the Pyrennes (France) as well as the German tool/craftmaking website "Dick Gmbh". I don't know their URL offhand, but you can google the name. They sell whole logs.

Good luck :(

• 8 months later...

My first question about boards is how thick they are, what other dimensions, how clear is it from knots and if the boxwood is the hardness that I would like to carve. If it is 1", then there would be wood for fairly flat carvings, or lots of ojime :lol:!

I think I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I ordered boxwood from Rockler once, which seems to source wood pretty close to the Woodcrafters (both American, and possibly Canadian, Woodworking supply retail outlets for our non-North American members :lol: )

It came and was definitely not the sort of box we tend to use for carving. They told me it was from South America. Completely different species, I guess. Really soft and lightweight.

Archived