Sign in to follow this  
Brett the bonecarver

Boxwood

Brett,

I've had luck with Gilmer Wood company in the U.S. (www.gilmerwood.com) I don't know if they ship internationally, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Also, I don't know about NZ, but Australia is pretty restrictive about allowing import of wood with bark still on it, so if NZ has similar laws, you may have trouble buying half-logs (which is how Boxwood seems to be sold most often).

Hope this helps,

Kelly

Hey there, Brett,

I would agree, Gilmer has been a great rescource for boxwood. They don't always have it on hand, and it tends to get snapped up pretty fast. No matter who you order from, make sure that the bark is removed before shipping.

Cheers,

Derek

Looking for a bit of boxwood to carve as I havn't tried this yet and everyone seems to have used it. I have a feeling its restricted but dont know so. Any hints??

Peace, Brett

Hi Brett

Try contacting Trend Timbers in Sydney, just a little closer to home and they have a fair range of materials. It may also get you around quarantine issues. www.trendtimbers.com.au

cheers

Mike

Brett,

You may want to have a look at an earlier thread about this topic (just scroll down back in time over the Materials forum topics). I recently made a big purchase from a wood dealer in Japan which I passed on to some members of the forum. There are dealers in the Pyrennes (France) as well as the German tool/craftmaking website "Dick Gmbh". I don't know their URL offhand, but you can google the name. They sell whole logs.

Good luck :(

Gilmer is great. I bought a big half log of Turkish Boxwood from them last year. Their service is first rate.

The log was shrink wrapped, bark free, and nary a split or check in it. They have a wide variety of exotic burl woods that make me quiver!

Derek

Guest DFogg

I was at Woodcraft Supply store last week and they had boxwood boards for sale. I am not sure of the carving qualities.

My first question about boards is how thick they are, what other dimensions, how clear is it from knots and if the boxwood is the hardness that I would like to carve. If it is 1", then there would be wood for fairly flat carvings, or lots of ojime :lol:!

I think I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I ordered boxwood from Rockler once, which seems to source wood pretty close to the Woodcrafters (both American, and possibly Canadian, Woodworking supply retail outlets for our non-North American members :lol: )

It came and was definitely not the sort of box we tend to use for carving. They told me it was from South America. Completely different species, I guess. Really soft and lightweight.