Blueberry for Debbie

lauri

Hei Debbie, here is at last the photograph I promised to send for you. It took a little longer than I thought but better late than never. So, one can make the same quality that they used to have but better also to have an ordinary job to pay the bills, I could not make a living just carving odd things! Height approx. 18 cm. Lauri

post-2-1285960813.jpg

lauri,i didn't have time this afternoon to do a good post.your carving is a great piece.what you said about having to work your job and carve too reminded me of when i started my carving business years ago.sometimes working my regular job was hard and then to come home and have to carve something for a customer made for a long day.i used to have a customer in miami,florida that would call me two weeks before Christmas and want a special piece carved by then.one time he called one week before Christmas and wanted a shell carved out of jadite and it had to be there to be mounted in a pendant by Christmas eve.i had to work all night long for several nights to get it done on time.i was a lot younger then,now i can only carve a few hours a day.keep up the fine work and best regards,ken

Hei Kenneth, it's a hard and cold world out there for carvers, especially in Finland. It is perhaps possibly to find customers also in here, but I'm not willing to waste my time in such an effort. There are people who are loaded with money but many are people who are "buying paintings by the weight", if you know what I mean. The forthcoming value of the investment is the most important thing. So, better to repair clocks for living and having a hobby, I'm not so keen to die just to keep customers happy and values of my works getting higher. But anyway, nice to see that some people can see the beauty without asking how much it costs.

Lauri

lauri,i know you have heard the expresion--starving artist.i have been there and done that.i was lucky enough to live where there is a lot of gem shops and gem shows.when i started out i was exhibiting at the gem shows.people would come up to me and ask me to do a carving for them,at that time i did mostly cameos and jewelry type carvings.it was a slow process to build a business and sometimes i would have to work two jobs to be able to buy the tools and the junk to carve.over the years i built up a good customer base that bought from me regular,one customer has over forty of my carvings in their collection.i find that i have now outlived most of my customers,i still have a few left.hang in there and best regards,ken

Lauri:

What an absolutely beautiful piece! I'm assuming nephrite jade, lapis and gold. I particularly like the graceful flow of the stems. Thanks for keeping me updated, I didn't see this until today.

Don't ever be discouraged, you are very, very good. I don't make any money to speak of either, but I quit putting low prices on my work. If I want to give things away, I'll give them to my friends or family, but not strangers.

Keep up the good and beautiful work!

Debbie I

Thank You for your kind words, I value your opinion. I don't underestimate my works, but it's better not to believe that one is the king of the hill. In this site you can see so amazing things that it's better to be quite humble and to talk only when asked, if you know what I mean. Your a professional and you can be proud of it, I prefer to be an amateur, that way I don't need to count those hours I have spent while making something and I can give it away or keep it (mostly to give away). Best thing here is that we can communicate like equals, a pro is not sitting higher than an amateur. I like it that way! Lauri

• 4 weeks later...

Archived