hello from Tennessee

Errol

I live in middle Tennessee, out in the country where farming is a major industry. I carve songbirds and wood turn decorative miniture bird houses. I have been carving off and on since 1978, but since I retired in 2000, I am now carving and woodturning fulltime and so a few art & craft shows.

Thank you all

Errol

errol,welcome to the forum.where in middle Tenn.do you live?i live in northwestern N.C.near the state line.there used to be a boy here that done some fine bird carvings in wood,his name is Charles Earnhart.i did a little woodcarving in the early 60's before i started carving gemstones.you will love this forum,there are some fine carvers on here.best regards,kenneth neaves

post-2656-1286548838.jpgpost-2656-1286548890.jpg

errol,welcome to the forum.where in middle Tenn.do you live?i live in northwestern N.C.near the state line.there used to be a boy here that done some fine bird carvings in wood,his name is Charles Earnhart.i did a little woodcarving in the early 60's before i started carving gemstones.you will love this forum,there are some fine carvers on here.best regards,kenneth neaves

Kenneth, I live in a Beech Grove, Tn., about 60 miles south of Nashville tn., I heve spent alot of time in northwestern NC around Boone, blowing Rock, and also Roan Mountain Tn. I did not know Mr. Earnhart, but I bet he is a fine wood carver. I do hope to learn a great deal from this forum and maybe pass on a little knowledge of my own when I can. Here are a couple of my recent carvings...first is a baltimore Oriol, 2nd a redbreasted nuthatch. I carve everything on the displays and also wood turn the bases on my lathe;

errol,in the early 60's i did some wood carvings.i had good luck selling them at the trading post on the blue ridge parkway.i am going to tell you a tale that you and the other fine wood carvers will get a chuckle out of.in the early 60's charles earnhart carved a chess,the board was curly walnut and curly maple.the figures were curly walnut and curly maple.it was a work of art,he sold it at one of the galleries at blowing rock for 2500.00 dollars.that was a lot of money inthose days,a friend of mine said he was going to get in on that and he made him a chess set.he used an old rough white pine and marked the board out,then he colored it with crayons.he made his figures out of white pine in the form of outhouses,whiskey jugs,etc.he thought his would bring more money than earnhart's because it was more hillbilly.he never could understand why none of them would buy his.best regards,ken

Errol, Welcome to TCP. Lots of good people here and you can learn a lot. BTW, I was in Tennesee last weekend. Went to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge to the Dixie Stampede and just looking around.

A few months ago I was in Mountain City. My sister-in-law has some property there and we were looking at it. Might buy a piece of land there.

Janel,

I carve my birds using basswood. The bases I turn from different woods like oak, black walnut, and maple. The wood the birds are perched on I use "found" wood like from the woods here, around the mountains or the rivers and lakes. I then take this wood and using my bandsaw I resaw to the size I need. then I do carve the stands from that and use acrylics for making the piece look weathered. I do use brass tubing and brass wire for my hummingbird displays, and which I carve the flowers from basswood. All my painting I use acrylic paints thinned about 90% so as not to fill in the detailing.

Mr. Barnhill, thank you for the warm welcome and I feel I can learn so much from The Carving Path people.

thank you all

Errol

Archived