New stone carving

Debbie K

Lauri & Ken:

Here's one of the four things I've completed recently. I am only downloading the one because I think the size is still too big.

Janel: it's at 72dpi and 480x640 but it's still at 283KB. I must be doing something wrong. I have three other things to post and don't want to until I figure out how to get it down to 50KB. Please let me know what I should be doing that I'm not.

post-1996-1286812460.jpg

Anyhow, this is the one that was inspired by the Fabrege show that I went to recently. It's a seal (with nothing on it yet) made of Texas agate, turitella and bronze. It's 1.25" wide x 4.6" high. This was the hardest stone I have carved to date. Most quartz, jasper or agate is around 7 on the hardness scale, this agate was closer to an 8. The agate has a pretty glow to it, almost opalescent.

Debbie K

Magnus:

The bronze is "Ancient Bronze" from Rio Grande, a true bronze, 90% copper and 10% tin. I tried vacumn casting some bronze with varying degrees of success, but as this piece was so small, I centrifugally cast. This stuff doesn't melt until around 1900 degrees, so I used propane with oxygen to melt. I tried the gas that came with a Bernzomatic kit, but it was burning so dirty I switched to propane. I use 20 Mule Team Borax to flux, it seems to work okay.

Recently I asked you about the wax you were using to carve, mostly because of the trouble I was having with this piece. I couldn't get a very refined look with the injection wax I was using. I need something that I can melt and form around my carvings, that won't shrink too much. The Matt wax shrinks alot and I started using the injection wax out of desperation. It is pretty brittle, but it carves alright and the shrinkage is minor. Any suggestions are welcome.

Debbie K

Debbie,

Thanks for the info on the bronze - I'll try that next I order from Rio. As to shrinking wax around stones, ebony, etc. - I use a mixture of purple and green Ferris wax for that - It does shrink and split so I use a wax pen (with a foot control to help regulate temperature) to heal the splits - helps if you heat the stone up well also.

Again - beautiful piece!

Magnus

It's always when I'm watching Your items I feel pretty amateur but I think it's OK and part of my education. Still, this particular item would fool me to believe that it's genuine, it's very stylish and a little bit old fashion in a good way. Yet, I can not at this very moment figure anything to compete with you, I'm starting to make a table clock movement and will be busy with it for a long time. Also, I'm not willing to be beaten by your lovely items. I shall sit down quietly, breath in and out and enjoy watching all the lovely items I can see. Lauri Ps. Just kidding!

Lauri, Magnus and Ken:

Thanks for the kind words. It means alot when people whose carvings you like also like your work.

Lauri, I was showing my husband your and Ken's beautiful carvings the other day, and I remembered the fly (my favorite) and I think he liked it better than my stuff. He said "Wow". I don't remember him saying that about anything I've done. He was very impressed (rightly so).

Here are two more carvings:

post-1996-1286918333.jpg

This is chrysoprase and emeralds in sterling silver.

post-1996-1286921211.jpg post-1996-1286921195.jpg

This is white chalcedony with moonstones and sapphires in sterling. They're both about 30mmH x 22mmW x 11mmD. I included two pictures because it's hard to see the carving.

I like doing the pendants because they're relatively easy to do, unlike some of the projects that I start and don't know how I'm going to finish. Lately I've been moving away from the Lalique inspired stuff. But it's nice to have done it, just to prove that I could. My husband has been prodding me to work larger and to go into bronzes. I will say the bigger stuff is easier to see, which is beginning to be a consideration. Also, I'm not very good at the jewelry-metalwork part of it. I really enjoy the carving part, be it stone, wax or wood.

Debbie K

debbie ,your work is great i love it ,never forget the best way to carve is from your hart,,that way every thing you do is goin to make vetter and vetter ,I personaly think that your metal work is very nice I like it too,i LIKE MORE YOUR JEWELRY IS VERY NICE AND FLUID oxoxoxoxoxxoox :lol:

Debbie, You don't need to be worried if your husband says Wow to another man. Be worried when he says it to a woman. On the other hand this is the first time when it happened to me. Should I be worried or pleased? The inner girl in me is both.... Okay, it's enough. My wife doesn't understand my works, so I think it's quite a normal situation. Your works are really in the same style as Lalique had, or should I say the same spirit, very sensuous, I would like to say sexy, but I'm not for sure if this site is for people over 18. I think that you should also think about how easy it is to sell bigger or smaller items. It's not nice for me to say to somebody that money counts but I'm for sure that you can make wonderful items in bigger or smaller size. If you are making for selling things, then those byers have their words to say. And that's why I don't make things for sale. Lauri

Here's one of the four things I've completed recently. I am only downloading the one because I think the size is still too big.

Janel: it's at 72dpi and 480x640 but it's still at 283KB. I must be doing something wrong. I have three other things to post and don't want to until I figure out how to get it down to 50KB. Please let me know what I should be doing that I'm not.

Debbie K

Hi Debbie, Please excuse me for jumping in on your request to Janel re. the size of your pic. When you "resave" your altered pic, you will also be offered to alter the JPG quality. You are probably resaving at 100% (or 10). If you alter the quality downward to "say" 80%(or 8), you will find a reduction in the file size without appreciable degradation of the pic.

Really admire your carving,...Cheers Colin

Archived