Hair pick and first "work" post

Charles DUBANT

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I've seem amazing things coming from TCP users and I post this regarding my very little experience and humble work.

The 1st picture is after I carved the tiki on top :

post-2703-1289551290.jpg

The 2nd is to show how I carved littlle lines around the pick and then detailed one of the two set of lines with the maori symbol for the family link :

post-2703-1289551313.jpg

Thanks in advance for your indulgence. :)

Charles.

Hi Lauri,

Thank you first of all and this is the rear leg bone of a beef. As for the tools I used on this, only power tools for the head on the top, would have been cleaner and with more details if i had some hand carving tools at my disposal (which I currently don't), i'm thinking about buying some Pfeil material for hand carving tools.

For the little carving on the whole length of the hairpin, I used engraving carbure point (power tool) with a little file (hand tool).

Thank you again for support.

Charles.

Hello Charles,

There are many posts on this forum about making your own tools. Bone carving tools for hand carving made by Stephen Myhre are one family of tools that have been very useful for me with the hard woods and other materials I carve. Netsuke carving tools of many sorts might also work in interesting ways for you. Take some time to research the archives to learn about what might be possible for your tool collection. You might get drawn in to carving even more with the kind of detail that hand tools only can produce.

Janel

Archived