Jade Prepolish help

Ian Holser

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestiong on how to prepolish jade?

Most of my carvings are fairly detailed and I want to be able to remove all the tools marks. I can get a good polish, but on many pieces still have tool marks on my undercuts and such.

I currently use nova wheels to smooth exposed convex surfaces. For slightly harder to get to spaces I use foam discs with 220grit wet/dry sandpaper on a mandrel and 3m bristle discs. I then hand sand the remaining tool marks. Of course the hand sanding takes longer than the whole rest of the carving and polishing process and I still have difficulty.

I understand using a very light touch to leave as few tool marks as possible, but want to know how you do prepolishing. There is lots of information on polishing, but without a good prepolish that doesn't really help.

Are there better methods? What do you do?

Thanks

Thanks,

I have already read all the posts I was able to find. I am definately going to try the boar bristle brush. I imagine it would work much like the bristle discs and those can't get into some of the tighter spaces. It may be that for what I want, there is just no quick or easy way of doing it.

Ian,

I have been cutting stone for thirty three years and I assure you that there is no quick or easy way of getting your final finish. I think you should try making some shaped tools out of brass or wood dowels that will fit into the areas you are having trouble with, this will not be quick but you will most likely get the results your after, using this technique.

Below is an image of a stone that was far from easy to finish but with persistence the stone came out great.

All my best ...... Danny

post-2604-1290038752.jpg

hi , my friend , working whit stones is like e probe to the soul and perseverance , they good way to do things but not fast , and in jade it get even vetter jajajajajajajaja I use green mounted stones , and make my ouwn wheels whit ruber and diamond dust, you have to get creative to polish , or use daimon sintered points of hig grit like 600 mesh or 1000 mesh , but even then you have to get the hard work , at this point I have one of the best jade polishers of guatemala living at my house , only to put to the test all the alternative posibilities of polishing jade to e good shine , and we all ways get to the same point , jajajajajaajajajajajjajajajaja sand paper for one part of the proces and for the other diamond dust jajajajajajajaja, and ALLOT OF PATIENSE jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajjajaja, hope this helps :):)

• 1 month later...

I have long been frustrated that there seems to be a dearth of "soft" diamond tools in the 1/2" to 2-1/2" range so I decided to try my hand at making my own.

I am glad I tried. The wood shanks don't clatter against the jade when I slip and I can control the firmness and thus the "drape" (flex to avoid flat spots) of the paper. The small disks on the end of the tool was just the ticket for polishing the inside of a recess.

For more details please look at

http://thecovingtons.com/art/Carvings/Jade...for%20recesses/

Untitled-1.jpg

Very nice. I made some similar tools and will be making one with the diamond on the end like the one your pictured. I retired some old nova wheels that had worn out in spots and made new tools out of them. I used the shafts of old cheap diamond burs I had worn out and glued foam and the diamond/resin on. Things like this certainly help, but so far I have found that to get the results I want, there is no avoiding tedious work by hand using papers, sticks and grits.

I have long been frustrated that there seems to be a dearth of "soft" diamond tools in the 1/2" to 2-1/2" range so I decided to try my hand at making my own.

I am glad I tried. The wood shanks don't clatter against the jade when I slip and I can control the firmness and thus the "drape" (flex to avoid flat spots) of the paper. The small disks on the end of the tool was just the ticket for polishing the inside of a recess.

For more details please look at

http://thecovingtons.com/art/Carvings/Jade...for%20recesses/

Untitled-1.jpg

Archived