Hello from San Francisco

Bob M

Greetings everyone - My name is Bob, and I'm glad to discover and join this forum.

I've been carving wood and stone/gemstones, painting, metal smithing, and doing a variety of art media (in addition to jazz music and composition) for many years.

Eager to learn more about the works of others.

Here's some of mine, humbly offered:

"Reefscape", internal quartz microsculpture, 1.5x2.5":

post-2723-1290483442.jpg

"Stegosaurus", internal quartz microsculpture, 1x2":

post-2723-1290483670.jpg

Warm regards, Bob

bob,glad you joined us.there are quite a few of us on here that carve gemstones.i have been carving gemstones since 1968 and now getting to old to do much carving.i still carve a piece now and then but now i don't have but two gears-slow and slower.i love to see the work of the carvers on here and it looks like you do some fine work.welcome and best regards,kenneth neaves

bob,i always think of something else after i have already posted my message.i am not much good with a computer.i meant to tell you that if i can help you in any way let me know.i live in the mountains of north carolina near where a lot of gemstones are found and it used to be a lot of fun to hunt them when i was younger.best regards,kenneth neaves

Bob:

Welcome to the Forum! I'm always glad to see another gemstone carver here, always hoping that I'll learn some new tricks.

The reef carving is beautiful, can't make out all the detail of the stegosaurus. I'm assuming that these are intaglio carvings, am I correct?

Are you making your own carving tools to work this small? I have used pins, needles, toothpicks and rod with diamond powder when working on things this small. I'm always curious about what others are doing.

I've never done intaglio, but I do have a highly fractured topaz that I have considered using this technique on. I'm afraid that if I don't leave most of the stone intact it could fall apart.

Are you familiar with Howard Friedler's works? If not, here's a link to his work http://home.comcast.net/~fantasygems/wsb/h...home.html-.html

This is what I do http://picasaweb.google.com/deborahkirkpatrick56

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, and hearing about how you do what you do.

Debbie K

Hi Debbie - Sincere thanks!

Your work is beautiful!

I studied with Howard Friedler when he was living in Northern CA - about 15-20 years ago - wonderful person/artist/teacher.

I spend a fair amount of time studying the stone, then go in from back, sides, and/or bottom - Foredom flex shaft, IV drip and/or WaterPik.

I used to make my diamond bits, but now use ready-made bits of various shapes.

Here's a better view of the stegosaurus:

post-2723-1290522168.jpg

I usually work around various flaws and odd shapes as necessary - this one only had enough clear space to "find" this 'Lady in the Waterfalls - turned the cracks into the falls:

post-2723-1290522355.jpg

This one had some fossil moss inclusions, inspiring me to up-carve a chair and table, "Primordial Reading Place" - about 1.5x1.5":

post-2723-1290522517.jpg

I've just returned to carving after many years of painting - here's a "transitional piece" back to 3D - chased/repoussed copper, acrylic painted, then photographed in moonlight and at dawn:

post-2723-1290523605.jpg

post-2723-1290522947.jpg

I'm now wavering between 2D and 3D - enjoying both - here's another of my imagined people, "Hypnotique", air and hand brushed acrylic:

post-2723-1290523279.jpg

Sorry to blather on here - planning to put up a website in 2011.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Bob:

Wow! I love the hibiscus! And I can really see the stegosaurus better in the second photograph. I like everything you posted.

What kind of diamond bits are you using? Dental? I got to a point where even they were a little to large (and coarse) for some of what I wanted to do, hence pins and needles.

I'm like you, I like to move around to different mediums. I was trained in fine arts/oil painting, and jewelry. But I really like working 3-D and doing multi-media more.

Have a good Thanksgiving and looking forward to your future postings.

Debbie K

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

very nice carving. I think there are a lot of us out there on our own carving all sorts of things with great passion its great to have this forum to share our work and ideas.

andrew S at jadefiend

Greetings everyone - My name is Bob, and I'm glad to discover and join this forum.

I've been carving wood and stone/gemstones, painting, metal smithing, and doing a variety of art media (in addition to jazz music and composition) for many years.

Eager to learn more about the works of others.

Here's some of mine, humbly offered:

"Reefscape", internal quartz microsculpture, 1.5x2.5":

post-2723-1290483442.jpg

"Stegosaurus", internal quartz microsculpture, 1x2":

post-2723-1290483670.jpg

Warm regards, Bob

Heartfelt thanks, Bill - Always interested in 2 and 3D work, and equally interested in carving from outside in or inside out.

Hoping to flame work and cold work/hand carve some borosilicate glass this month to make some glass/metal/gem combos - huge mistakes and fun ahead. Best regards - Bob

Archived