New to the Forum

Hans van der Pluijm

Hi all,

Great to meet you all.

My name is Hans van der Pluijm, I live in the Netherlands and I started carving in June of this year.

At present I carve bone as a passtime, just for the fun of it, and I have plans to take up wood carving later.

I've been interested in carving for a while, but simply never tried until this June.

A couple of weeks before my father had given me an old damaged bone spoon, the only spoon my mother ever used to eat her boiled eggs with.

Receiving that precious old spoon got me interested in trying bone carving myself.

As my wife is Kiwi, I initially looked at Maori and Polynesian carvings for inspiration, connected with some other carvers and gave it a go. To my surprise I really enjoyed fiddling with bone.

As both carving and bone as a carving medium are new to me, I am currently sticking to relatively simple designs. My aim is to first develop a nice flow and something of a style of my own before expanding to the more complex designs.

To date, I only have a few finished carvings, and several in the make.

I've included two pics, to give you an idea.

I hope that I can be a valuable contribution to this forum, and I look forward to seeing your inspiring works and getting honest feedback, favourable or not, on my carvings.

Cheers,

Hans

post-2744-1292196308.jpg

post-2744-1292196334.jpg

Hey Hans.

Great to see you here. Plenty to learn around here.

Billy (Gareth)

Hey Billy / Gareth,

Thought you'd be on here, and knew when I saw your avatar!

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, looks like a great place here.

From what I've seen so far, really good tips on tools, techniques, etc, and honest feedback instead of the normally agreed upon mutual admiration without constructive criticism.

I am here to learn and be inspired, and hope I can contribute in some way to this forum.

Cheers,

Hans

Hey Billy / Gareth,

Thought you'd be on here, and knew when I saw your avatar!

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, looks like a great place here.

From what I've seen so far, really good tips on tools, techniques, etc, and honest feedback instead of the normally agreed upon mutual admiration without constructive criticism.

I am here to learn and be inspired, and hope I can contribute in some way to this forum.

Cheers,

Hans

Finally got here mate!

I think you have to decide not to be intimidated but to take what others do as a challenge!

Much of what I see here makes me want to take up fishing, but instead I am trying to match some of it even if only in small corners of my own work.

Sandy

Hey Sandy,

Great to meet you!

Exactly what I choose to do.

Otherwise I wouldn't be here, I'd be fishing too.

I figure there's lots to learn here, and great inspiring works.

Cheers,

Hans

• 3 weeks later...

Archived