Need Foredom Advice!!

chris-c

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at a few used Foredoms on ebay, and seriously considering buying one, but I hate buying anything used, as you mostly inherit someone else's problems that they wanted to unload so THEY could buy a new one, and I don't need the hassle!

I hate to say it, but I think I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one, but they are SO expensive, and having never purchased one of them before, I'm not exactly sure of what the features are that I'm looking for, or what specific model of hand piece is the best for my requirements.

It's just one of those things that you cannot cut corners on, it's plain and simple, if you are serious about carving, you need a professional quality piece of equipment, or you will not be able to produce professional work, not to mention that one gets really tired of replacing dead Dremel (Mastercraft actually) flex shafts constantly because they are cheap crap!

I've learned that extensive research when buying new equipment is not really helpful, you can spend all month searching and reading and reading, only to find that your just as confused as when you started, because of information overload!

So I've learned to ask a professions and not care about looking stupid, so here I am, asking a professional out there!

What is the best model Foredom that is a good entry level model that will not be outgrown quickly, and is scalable and easily able to add on to accessory wise?

I know that the most important feature is the motor, (obviously) and the HP of it, so what is the minimum HP that you would need?

Also, I'm wondering about speed control, I've seen a few that have a REALLY expensive speed controller box that they plug into, , but isn't the pedal is a speed controller, or just an on/off switch? Why would you need a separate speed controller, other than the annoyance of not being able to set the speed precisely and leave it there if your using a foot pedal to control it?

If the foot controller is the speed controller, I can see myself using a "C" clamp to set the speed to exactly where I want it and leaving it there...lol.

Regarding the models, what is the difference between the newer model's S-R and C.30, or the Bench Style model?

In the older used models, there are some that are ancient looking, but apparently just "look" that way because of the old design, so it's hard to know the "real" age of them just by a picture, there are models GG, DD, SERIES R, and a few others, but I am not sure which one is the best, or if Foredom has ever produced a "lemon" model that people know to stay away from.

I was looking at one on ebay, but quickly realized that it was a Foredom "knock off" that was stealthily hidden to give the "impression" that it was a Foredom. Are these knockoff's garbage, or are they worthwhile, being compatible with Foredom?

I'm pretty sure I have NO interest in buying a cheap knockoff, as I mentioned, I want a "quality" piece of machinery this time, (not something equivalent to what I already own) and I think in my mind at least that it's better to have a used beat up WORKING and maintained Foredom than a NEW knock off that will implode after a week of use.

So, if I cannot find a "New" one that is within my price range (Which isn't much right now!), then I'll have to settle on a "used" one that is in decent shape, but it's always a gamble buying used, as you just never know if it's on it's last legs to begin with! So what to do? Hmmm.....

If I can at least know what models to look for, or stay away from, and know which hand piece is mandatory, I'll be off to a good start, also, knowing what a "good deal" looks like price wise would be helpful, for example, would $100 for a used older Foredom, flex shaft, and Hand piece bee a good deal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris ;)

So, Danny, to further my discussion on the other thread, can you attach a Foredom flex shaft to that motor that you posted a picture of in the other thread?

I'm just wondering what is better now, as if you have a regular Foredom unit hanging from a hook, it can only be used like that, but if you have one of those desk top units like you posted a picture of (IF it can have a flex shaft attached to it) you could use it with the flex shaft, OR you could mount a bit directly to it?

Seems to me that a system like that would be much more useful and flexible for many different applications.

If I wasn't building the faceting machine that I am currently, this would not be an issue, and I'd simply take you up on your offer for a flex shaft, and probably a hand piece, but like I said, those pieces are for the faceting machine, and i don't have a good motor controller for the Baldor motor that i "thought" I did, so if I am going to have to invest in a good motor controller, and then a flex shaft, and hand piece, i might as well just buy a whole system, as I'm not really ahead of the game at all like I thought I was, sorry for that confusion!

So, as soon as I receive some advice from my previous post here from someone, then I can make a better decision about all this.

Thanks again everyone, you've been more than helpful and patient with me, and also, sorry for the long posts!

Chris ;)

Hi Chris-c,

I recently bought a foredom SR serie on the internet, this is the most current model used, but it's according to your need that you should choose. Do you need the torque or do you need the speed? the foot control is the speed control....The handpiece #30 is the one you should start with and then you will upgrade to something that might be more for you.

But just enter foredom in the search function you will find quite a lot of answer. And apparently from what I get reading through the old post the motor seems to be lasting forever so my guess is that a second hand one might not be so bad.

Oh, by the way I bought mine on ottofrei internet site, after few weeks of looking around they were the cheapest for me.

You can also look at riogrande....

Hope this was of any help

Take care and be water

Chris

Hi Chris-c,

I recently bought a foredom SR serie on the internet, this is the most current model used, but it's according to your need that you should choose. Do you need the torque or do you need the speed? the foot control is the speed control....The handpiece #30 is the one you should start with and then you will upgrade to something that might be more for you.

But just enter foredom in the search function you will find quite a lot of answer. And apparently from what I get reading through the old post the motor seems to be lasting forever so my guess is that a second hand one might not be so bad.

Oh, by the way I bought mine on ottofrei internet site, after few weeks of looking around they were the cheapest for me.

You can also look at riogrande....

Hope this was of any help

Take care and be water

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your info and advice!!

From what I've read thus far, I am aware also that people are saying these motors last forever, with the brushes needing to be replaced periodically, which is great, and also the reason WHY I want to stick to a brand name device, like this Foredom, like I've said, I know enough to know that sometimes for some things like this, it's not beneficial to scrimp on quality, you don't win in the long run.

I'm currently "pondering" on a Foredom on ebay for a hundred bucks that is $100 "buy it now" for a "DD SERIES" Foredom, flex shaft, and hand piece, although the description only says:

"THIS IS A WORKING FOREDOM 14,000RPM DRILL DD SERIES."

, so I don't even know what hand piece comes with it, or if it even has the foot pedal, as it's not shown in the picture, so how much would a foot pedal be if I had to buy one, and is the "DD SERIES" considered to be a better one, or a not so good one?

Would one consider this to be a "good deal" for such a unit for this price?

these are the kind of things I'm struggling with, aside from the whole "used" thing, wondering if it's in good working order, there is the whole "price" thing, as I am not sure of the resale value, and what is considered to be a good deal, as I'm sure like anything else, it varied from model to model, and of course depending on what is included.

Also, as far as needing the torque needing the speed, that's a good question, what DO I need?

I'm "assuming" I need lower speeds and high torque to successfully carve jade, as it's hard, and one needs to not rush it, or you'll burn out your bits in a hurry, so I would say that slower and more powerful is what's needed, right?

Thanks again for your help!

Chris ;)

Hi Chris-c,

I can't really help you on the DD series 'cos I don't know it....I can only guess that all the foredom units are good they are just different in HP and therefore torque and speed....

One thing I know is that the brushes for this kind of DD series would be around 10$ and then concerning the handpiece and footcontrol I can only advise you to go and check on ottofrei.com or riogrande.com, got nothing to do with these people, just happen to be the cheapest one I did find......

As for carving jade, I think that a THX unit (full with motor iron cast foot control flexh shaft and handpiece for 295$) 'cos it's a good amount of torque with a speed that goes up to 15000rpm, would be nice but I'm carving bone so it's informations I read, I actually never used one.....so for sure someone else can give you much better advices on this than me.....

This is about all I can do for you, good luck with the search and take care

Be water

Chris

Hi Chris-c,

I can't really help you on the DD series 'cos I don't know it....I can only guess that all the foredom units are good they are just different in HP and therefore torque and speed....

One thing I know is that the brushes for this kind of DD series would be around 10$ and then concerning the handpiece and footcontrol I can only advise you to go and check on ottofrei.com or riogrande.com, got nothing to do with these people, just happen to be the cheapest one I did find......

As for carving jade, I think that a THX unit (full with motor iron cast foot control flexh shaft and handpiece for 295$) 'cos it's a good amount of torque with a speed that goes up to 15000rpm, would be nice but I'm carving bone so it's informations I read, I actually never used one.....so for sure someone else can give you much better advices on this than me.....

This is about all I can do for you, good luck with the search and take care

Be water

Chris

Thanks again Chris, I'm currently looking at the Foredom website, and just reading what they have to say, it seems that they mostly have info on their new models, and recommend the Series SR for just about everything, but being interested in carving jade, I'm wondering if it has enough torque, as they recommend the Series TX motor which is 1/3HP for people who need alot of torque, so i wonder now which is "really" needed.

Again, it all boils down to money, and $300 is alot of money to me that i just don't have right now, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and most likely, I'll be forced to purchase a used system until I can upgrade, but I'm also wondering if like most things, the "older" products might actually be better, as just about everything has gotten cheaper in it's manufacturing, with all plastic junk and cheaper construction, nothing is nice quality heavy solid metal anymore, so maybe a good used older system is better?

Chris ;)

Chris,

I have been using a Foredom since 1978 the first I owned a CC I used up until 1998 and gave it to my nephew, all it ever needed was the brushes replaced once. If you check out my main Foredom page you will see that I sing praises for all Foredom products.

I am currently using a sires SR 1/6 HP machine, with a permanent magnet motor 1/6 HP is plenty. The machine holds its torque at any and all speeds, you can have it running at around 100RPM grab the tool with your hand and the motor will not stall or slow down. I've used it with 1/4 inch shank 50 mesh diamond burrs at a slow RPM for cobbing fire agate and it almost melts the Chalcedony because of no lose of torque/RPM. On Jade it works great with the same tool .......... No melting effect here ............ Its jade after all.

I found early on with my first Foredom that the foot control to me is worthless and bought a dremel dial control, the trouble with the foot control is that you start out at the preferred speed then start to concentrate on what your doing, in no time you find the Foredom running at full speed because you keep lowering your foot. The dial speed control is not expensive 55.00 on my site, when you factor in the fact that it puts you in the position of having your burr run at the perfect speed for cutting and long life it will pay for itself in no time.

You do not want one of the old CC DD and such unless someone gives it to you, these old models could not hold their torque and were truly a pain in the butt when you were trying to do some hogging of material or even when drilling.

I think Kenneth said he was using the Foredom knock offs with no complaints a few weeks ago, so if he is reading this hopefully he will chime in on this thread.

If I were to only have one handpiece, for what I do I would buy the 44T, it comes with three collets 3/32, 1/8 and 1/4 inch also there are other sizes available. If you go check out my burr page on the site, the owner of a 44T handpiece can use every burr on the page with this handpiece.

To answer your other question below in this thread, the images I posted of the bench lathe and flexade can be used together so if you go down this path you could have two machines in one, one note I've never used a flexade so I can't give feedback on them, being made by Foredom I'd assume they are excellent.

You can buy the foredom 2230 kit on my site for 265.00 plus shipping with it you get the SR machine the #30 handpiece and a plastic foot control. You may be able to find this kit for less so if you decide to buy the 2230 search the web for the best price.

Hope I have not confused you here .............. All my best .......... Danny

I'm just wondering what is better now, as if you have a regular Foredom unit hanging from a hook, it can only be used like that, but if you have one of those desk top units like you posted a picture of (IF it can have a flex shaft attached to it) you could use it with the flex shaft, OR you could mount a bit directly to it?

Seems to me that a system like that would be much more useful and flexible for many different applications.

Hi Chris-c, I use chinese Fordom look-a-likes because of their cost. Here in NZ fordoms are extreemly expensive. But I made sure from the suppliers that the Fordom handpieces would fit, and they did as I damaged an internal flexishaft and replaced it with a Fordom repair kit and it works OK. One of the units I purchased second hand, (cheap) only to find that the speed controller (bench model) was defunct. No problem, I simply used and old light dimmer that I had lying around-us sparkys have this sort of stuff- and it works real good. Just set the speed required and it stays steady. The units I got are 1/4 HP 18000rpm units. Great for small stone carving...Cheers Colin

Hi Chris-c, I use chinese Fordom look-a-likes because of their cost. Here in NZ fordoms are extreemly expensive. But I made sure from the suppliers that the Fordom handpieces would fit, and they did as I damaged an internal flexishaft and replaced it with a Fordom repair kit and it works OK. One of the units I purchased second hand, (cheap) only to find that the speed controller (bench model) was defunct. No problem, I simply used and old light dimmer that I had lying around-us sparkys have this sort of stuff- and it works real good. Just set the speed required and it stays steady. The units I got are 1/4 HP 18000rpm units. Great for small stone carving...Cheers Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply and your advice ;)

I'm sure that the Chinese Fordom knock off's probably aren't that bad, but the thing is, you can't group all knock offs into the same classification, as some are definitely better than others, and some are complete crap, that's for sure! I've noticed this in general with those types of things, and it's one of those kinda things that you almost need to hold it in your hand to be able to tell the quality, so buying online is taking a chance as you don't get to do that.

Some of those Chinese tools are really solid and not bad, while others are really plasticky feeling, and very light weight, you just know those dollar store tools will implode upon 1st use!

I also wonder about the ability to interface with genuine Foredom parts as well, there is a guy on ebay in Israel of all places who is selling Foredoms as "Foredom" and NOT knock off's, but when I opened the Foredom page and looked at the same models, and then held the Israel guy's picture of "his" Foredom side by side, I could immediately see that they were 2 completely different units.

The ebay one had a red sticker, and the Authentic Foredom one from Foredom's web page was blue, and the ebay one had "ridges" in the body of the motor where the real Foredom had ventillation slots, so it really makes me wonder if it even gets enough air into it!

Maybe someone with experience could tell me if this one from Israel is a REAL foredom, or a knockoff as I suspect it is, as the one from Israel that sells for $119.00 on ebay is the RED one, and is labeled "Foredom S-R", and the Authentic Foredom with the BLUE label from the Foredom webpage is labeled "SR Foredom", so these slight differences, along with the difference in appearance of the unit itself make me wonder if this is authentic, or not, as the RED one just looks "cheaper" in construction to me.

What do you think?

Take a look at the 2 below:

MSRFCT.1.jpg

Below is what I "suspect" to be a Chinese knock off of a Foredom, a closeup shows the differences from the picture above from the Foredom webpage:

chinese-foredom-closeup.JPG

chinese-foredom3.JPG

The ebay auction is located HERE

Also, not to confuse things, but below are 2 other Foredom "knockoff's" that are for sale on ebay, one is only $39.99 (for obvious reasons I think!), and the other is $89.99, I wonder just how good or crappy these 2 other units would be?

This one is located at:

$89.99Knockoff Foredom Link

4999_01.jpg

And this cheaper one for only $39.99 (plus big shipping though) is located here:

$39.99 knockoff Foredom link

100_9307.jpg

I don't suspect either of these 2 to be anything worth investing in, what do you think? What I'm most concerned about is the RED Foredom look alike above as it is being SOLD as a FOREDOM and NOT a "Knock-off"!

I hope it's not against the rules to post eBay auctions, I'm NOT advertising them whatsoever, just asking for advice!

Thanks!

Chris ;)

Ok the only thing I can tell you about the "red" foredom is that the 220V version on the SR model is labelled red but go and check it yourself http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?...3617&page=1.

And also, forEdom is not fordom, just keep looking 'cos when it's looks like cheap they must be a reason.

So my guess is that version of yours is a knock-off. And just a reminder 'cos I told you about ottofrrei before and I would not like you to get confused, I'm in no way advertising for this people, they were just the cheapest at the time I bought my foredom unit. ;)

hope it was of any help

Chris

Ok the only thing I can tell you about the "red" foredom is that the 220V version on the SR model is labelled red but go and check it yourself http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?...3617&page=1.

And also, forEdom is not fordom, just keep looking 'cos when it's looks like cheap they must be a reason.

So my guess is that version of yours is a knock-off. And just a reminder 'cos I told you about ottofrrei before and I would not like you to get confused, I'm in no way advertising for this people, they were just the cheapest at the time I bought my foredom unit. ;)

hope it was of any help

Chris

Yeah, I noticed now that the "E" is missing in the forEdom name on the knock off from Israel, and also, they have a red label, but the body of the fordom knock-off has no holes in it like the red one on the page you just referred me to, so i can tell for sure now that it IS a knock off now that I can see the exact model it is trying to mimic!

Thanks for posting that!

I wasn't going to buy it, I was just making others aware of things like this, and also to get advice about the "quality" of these knock offs, and if they were at all even close to the quality of a REAL Foredom unit.

Thanks again for the info!

Chris ;)

Note: Posting links to the auction pages will expire and not be working links when the auction is concluded. That is my guess, anyway.

Hi Janel,

I was "hoping" I wasn't breaking any rules by putting those links there, please forgive me if I did!

I wasn't posting them so anyone could "buy" anything, just as an example of the Foredom "knock-offs" that were out there!

Sorry again if i did anything wrong!

Chris ;)

I'm pretty sure I have NO interest in buying a cheap knockoff, as I mentioned, I want a "quality" piece of machinery this time, (not something equivalent to what I already own) and I think in my mind at least that it's better to have a used beat up WORKING and maintained Foredom than a NEW knock off that will implode after a week of use.

So, if I cannot find a "New" one that is within my price range (Which isn't much right now!), then I'll have to settle on a "used" one that is in decent shape, but it's always a gamble buying used, as you just never know if it's on it's last legs to begin with! So what to do? Hmmm.....

If I can at least know what models to look for, or stay away from, and know which hand piece is mandatory, I'll be off to a good start, also, knowing what a "good deal" looks like price wise would be helpful, for example, would $100 for a used older Foredom, flex shaft, and Hand piece bee a good deal?

first of all, with any model of foredom, parts can be easily found and replaced. so even if you find one on craigslist or ebay, most likely it can be made into a nice working tool for a few dollars. secondly, there are several things that wear-out on all of them: brushes, sheath and shaft. If the handpiece catches on something, the sheath and shaft will kink and then vibrate and have to be replaced -- this is what we find on the ones in the community college but the motors just keep going and going. Also, if the switch isn't kept clean, it can fail too.

so if you really can't afford a new model, getting a second-hand one is a good bet. If you can find one for 100.00, grab it.

i have the desktop SR model. Lot of torque... I keep a 1/4 collet in the 44T and mostly use it to rough shape and course-sand wood. it's a great tool but very hard on the hands. i find it necessary to hold the handpiece with 2 hands and can't work for long periods of time. therefore, i'm not really fond of this tool and would much rather use my other grinding tools when possible.

however it is the only 1/4 handpiece i have so its nice to have when needed.

if i was doing more detailed carving with it, think i'd invest in the smaller handpiece like #20 or #8.

i would never consider a foot pedal because it gets very tiring having to keep one foot in tension and it's incompatible with how i use the tool.

c

Chris:

I can't speak to the relative merits of Foredom units, except to say that all the folks I know who have them are very satisfied with them.

I, like you, suffer from limited resources. I started carving stone with a Dremel with a flexible shaft, and would still be using one if it weren't for the incompatiblity issue with the unit and a foot pedal. The reason I like Dremels so much is the higher RPM. They don't last, but I don't care, they're relatively inexpensive. The switches give out after a while. I just get a new motor and hook up my flex shaft to it. The shaft wears out too, after about a year and a half. Sometimes you just want the speed, and the Foredom's just don't have it.

I have been using a Grobet flex-shaft with only 1/10 hp and have been pretty happy with it, especially since I got a new, smaller handpiece (made by Wecheer) from Woodcraft. I mounted the foot pedal on the side of my desk well and I use my knee for the speed control, much less tiring and easier to regulate. The Foredom and Grobet parts are interchangeable. The Grobet unit cost me $100.00 on sale, which included the pedal and shaft. It has no chatter.

I have carved jade, quartz, ruby, opal, turquoise, labradorite, bone, ground and polished bronze, etc, with both of these tools. I have found that the biggest issue is not the power tool but the bits. When I use these tools, I use them for hours on end without a problem. I did have a defective Dremel one time that overheated after about 5 minutes of use, needless to say, it was returned immediately. The Dremel flex shafts are not always great, you have to run them to see if they're true, some have chatter. They shouldn't; if they do, return them and get another.

Whatever you get, learn how to clean and lube the flex-shaft. I wish I could afford a Foredom, or a dental drill, but I can't. I think the most important thing is to do the best you can with whatever you have.

Debbie K

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the advice!

It's good to see that a "pro" like yourself is not completely bent on absolutely having to use a Foredom tool, and you still put out great work.

It's always been my philosophy that a craftsman's work is only as good as his tools are, but in some cases the "quality" doesn't suffer, the convenience and ease of getting to the end result does.

Would you believe that I've now gone through FIVE dremel type tools?

It's not the tool itself, or the motor, brushes or any of that stuff, it's the FLEX SHAFTS that always go first!

So when that happens, I go to Canadian tire, and buy another one when they go on sale, which is often, and sometimes at 70% off the retail prices, so I'll pay like $35 bucks for a 200 piece rotary tool set with a flex shaft, which is cheaper than buying a new flex shaft for it!

The problem is now, I've got 2 dremel hand pieces, and 4 Mastercraft (Canadian tire brand) hand pieces in a box, just sitting there, and am currently using a "King Canada" (Chinese knockoff brand that is BETTER than MASTERCRAFT!) brand dremel type rotary tool with a flex shaft and one type of bit permanently mounted in that flex shaft, and a Mastercraft rotary tool hanging next to it at my bench that I change with different bits as I need them, it's just easier to run 2 different ones so I don't have to keep changing up the bits so often.

The point is, I'm "hoping" to upgrade to a Foredom to keep the box of "dremel tool hand pieces" from getting and larger, as I am caught in this retail price structure thing that keeps me from just buying the part I actually need, it's stupid.

It's like when you buy a camera, and something goes wrong with it, and it costs LESS to buy a WHOLE NEW camera then it does to just have it fixed! Go figure! LOL

I am just hoping that if I scrape and save to invest in something that is known to be more reliable, and better quality, that I will have something that lasts, is better and easier to use, and can be easily fixed or repaired if something breaks, and it won't cost more than the entire unit to do so!

In my experience, ALL the Dremel and Mastercraft flex shafts that I've used vibrate QUITE a bit, I've gone through 6 of them, all different makes and models, and they all feel the same, and make my hand "tingly" and a bit painful because of my carpel tunnel, so I also was hoping the Foredom would relieve that issue as well.

I also think I'm going to invest in some sintered diamond bits of various shapes and sizes, I'm not sure just yet what the universally accepted jade carving tip type is, maybe it's whatever "I" prefer, but a variety can't hurt. I looked at the page online called "Jade Fiend", and it recommends tips called "Zha Yan", but an internet Google search for that name comes up with alot of "weird" Japanese results that are NOT carving tips...LOL

I keep thinking I can make do with what I have, but then it bugs me to the point where the frustration takes away from the experience that is "supposed" to be pleasant, so I really do think it's time for me to upgrade to something of better quality, whatever that may be, and Foredoms are pretty much all I've ever heard are the best, is there another type of universally accepted rotary tool that professionals use in the Foredom unit's same form factor and design?

thanks!

Chris ;)

Hi everyone,

I don't want people to be offended, but here is my thought, when one says that dremel are cheap enough, on the long term they seem to me to be quite expensive if you need to replace them so often. And my main concern is pollution `cos those cheap chinese knock-off or dremel or any others brand once they are out of order, how do you recycle them?

In 2011, may be it's time to think about consequences....and also why are they so cheap? In which country are they made? What is the human cost of all this?

I don't want to upset anyone and maybe one didn't thought about consequences but pleae everyone, this world will only be getting better if we all participate.....

Chris

Hi everyone,

I don't want people to be offended, but here is my thought, when one says that dremel are cheap enough, on the long term they seem to me to be quite expensive if you need to replace them so often. And my main concern is pollution `cos those cheap chinese knock-off or dremel or any others brand once they are out of order, how do you recycle them?

In 2011, may be it's time to think about consequences....and also why are they so cheap? In which country are they made? What is the human cost of all this?

I don't want to upset anyone and maybe one didn't thought about consequences but pleae everyone, this world will only be getting better if we all participate.....

Chris

Hi Chris, don't worry, your comment is not offensive in any way, at least not to me!

I always worry about offending people on these forums too, but know that if that ever happened, it's only because my post was not understood correctly, we are all here to be kind and helpful to one another, and I think that's why they are so careful to make sure only good folks are allowed to post here!

You brought up a good point, and one that we probably don't give enough consideration to. I'm as guilty as anyone else for not being conscious of the effect of using "disposable" devices has on our planet.

Here in Canada, we have to recycle everything, in fact, I'm sitting here trying to catch my breath from just taking out the garbage, which consists of "general" waste garbage bags (with just about everything from diapers and cat litter, to plastic non-recyclable wrap) a paper waste bag, and plastic recycling bags, and additionally, we take a large green bin of composting out to the curb to be emptied as well for all of our food garbage. We are forced to recylce everything.

I don't know what the rest of the countries are like, but we are pretty strict on that kind of thing, and admittedly, when you actually SEE the recycling waste with your own eyes that you just hauled out to the curb, you really are aware of what "would" have just gone into the landfill and that is only from ME!

All of those dead electronics and broken dremel tools have to go somewhere, and your right, they do probably make it into the landfill eventually.

Non of us reuse anything anymore (except me, I make the wackiest things from broken stuff...LOL) and nothing is built to last anymore, back in the old days, things were always built to last, have you ever picked up an old floor model TV set! HEAVY!

So maybe your right Chris, maybe I "should" think more about my effects on the world with my purchasing decisions, maybe we all should.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I don't know if anyone else is offended by that comment, but I am certainly not, and in fact I'm glad it was brought up, so thanks for reminding me to do my part!

Chris ;)

Chri-c

Check the spelling !!!!!!!!

The RED one isn't a Foredom !!!!!

Have a look at the Dremel Hanging motor (I forget the name) it has plenty power and speed. My earlier model has worked for +- 15 yrs with NO problems.

Beg, borrow or steal BUT rather buy the best Foredom (or Dremel) that you can't afford. It will last so long that it was worth it in the long run. ;)

Good luck

Toothy

Chri-c

Check the spelling !!!!!!!!

The RED one isn't a Foredom !!!!!

Have a look at the Dremel Hanging motor (I forget the name) it has plenty power and speed. My earlier model has worked for +- 15 yrs with NO problems.

Beg, borrow or steal BUT rather buy the best Foredom (or Dremel) that you can't afford. It will last so long that it was worth it in the long run. ;)

Good luck

Toothy

Thanks Toothy (great name, hehe) I realized that shortly after posting it when someone else pointed out the lack of an "E" in the FOReDOM label on that one from Israel...LOL

I'm lucky I can spell my own name these days, hehe.

I've decided NOT to jump into this, I'm going to hang out, keep my eyes open, and sell my work & save $$ for a good piece of equipment, maybe even new if things go good.

That's how I've financed all my lapidary equipment, with my opal sales, god knows I certainly can't take it all out of our personal finances with a new baby girl to take care of!!

It will all work out, it always does, god things come to those who wait!

I appreciate the advice I've received here, you all have been very very helpful and instrumental in my making a proper educated decision, and I than you all VERY MUCH for all your kindness and advice and guidance!

On a different note, I've been conversing with one of my suppliers in Guatemala who says he can supply me with good quality jade of ALL colors, he hires armed security to get him into the "tight spots" in Guatemala and Honduras, and brings back 500-600 pounds of jade at a time, and has offered to ship me a hundred pounds any time I need it, so I am glad to have the material on hand now that I am going to be getting more and more into this carving thing.

He also says he is getting a contact for lilac jade "with amazing purples and greens", and also gets Galaxy jade which is black with gold flakes in it, blue jade, dark green avocado, and even super transparent imperial jade also, so I will be very interested to see what I can get from him, but buying rough also costs money, so I'm always weighing buying more rough material to cut and sell, against purchasing better equipment, and try to pick the "best" time to upgrade things!

Being a "new" supplier that I have not dealt with yet, I'll believe it all when I hold it in my hands, but I've got a pretty good feel for people, and don't deal with crooks or sleazy dealers, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get good jade to carve, which really is the most important part, if you have nothing to carve, you won't "need" a Foredom!

Take care,

Chris :angry:

To answer your other question below in this thread, the images I posted of the bench lathe and flexade can be used together so if you go down this path you could have two machines in one, one note I've never used a flexade so I can't give feedback on them, being made by Foredom I'd assume they are excellent.

Hi Danny, I have been looking at Foredom's website regarding the bench lathe and flexade, and the option of having the attachment on one side to have a burr connected directly to the chuck and shaft, and the other having a flex shaft (flexade) and hand piece, and just wanted to ask your opinion on about the only concern i have with this setup, which is how the torque compares with one of those bench lathe units and a hanging motor type like the SR unit.

I know we are kinda comparing apples and oranges, but I'm just still trying to weigh out all the possibilities that are right for me, and as you mentioned, a stationary unit that I move the carving, instead of the hand piece might be a good thing for me, considering my "condition", so it would be nice to at least be able to "try" that type of technique while still having the option to use the flex shaft if I don't like, or can't catch on to doing it that way.

So, do you think the actual "performance" would be comparable between then 2 kinds of devices? For example, if you had a flex shaft connected to the SR unit, and had a flex shaft connected to the bench lathe, (the same exact type flex shaft and hand piece) would you "feel" a difference picking one up and using it, then picking the other up and using it do you think?

If so, how?

Thanks!

Chris ;)

Chris-c

Glad you like my name ;)

I have used both methods that you describe and in my opinion they are not comprable. If the bench motor is like a Baldor it is single speed or maybe 2 speed with a fairly high torque. This can useful when using large diameter attachments eg cloth polishing wheels and brushes.

A hanging motor with flexshaft and a FOOT/KNEE control is much more versatile as each size of bit used needs a different speed to operate at its optimum. This can get you into small tight spaces and will allow the use of the very small dental bits (high speed dental burs for the air turbine.)

The technique for using a bench motor with a bit is different to using a hanging motor.

BTW a hanging motor can often be bench mounted (takes up valuble space :huh: ) and can get in the way of tools & materials on the bench.

In my working life I used all three systems but as carver of small things I have settled on a decent HM and foot control. Lately I have tended to use cordless machines as well. I do use other machines and hand tools, mostly home made.

My advice is to follow the route you have mapped out and when you can buy the very best you can - provided you have material with which to work :angry:

Good luck with your decision

Toothy

Archived