Hello from a Wildlife Carver in California

Pete V.

Hi,

Just joined the Forum.

My focus is on Wildlife Carving and Sculptures. The subjects are countless and I find each of them has a different personality.

Most of my carvings are life size. I am a retired engineer and don't want to buzz the numbers converting from life size to smaller scales anymore for the proportions of each subject.

I mostly carve as I see them using photo's as my primary reference and have never used a pattern.

Hope to share tips and encouragement with others who enjoy the feel of wood and the possibilities to release the creature within.

Pete V.

bearcrvr1@aol.com

www.bearvalleysculptures.com

Screech Owl carving

post-2754-1293913044.gif

pete,very nice carving.i used to do some wood carving many years ago,mostly animals and gunstocks.welcome to the forum and best regards,kenneth neaves

Thanks for your comments Kenneth. But I take exception to that phrase "used to do some wood carving".

Don't quit, get those tools out, grab a chunk of wood and just cut off anything that doesn't look like a bird.

Have a great new year,

Pete V.

Pete,

Welcome to the forum. The posted carving is wonderful!

I think I have seen your work online, do you have a website or is your work on a website.

All my best ............ Danny

Danny,

I do have a website and would appreciate any comments you may have after viewing it.

It is my 1st attempt at website programming. I wanted to have control of the site and make my own changes as needed.

Thanks,

Pete

http://www.bearvalleysculptures.com

Pete,

I knew I had seen your work as soon as I saw the image you posted. I had been to your site ....... No clues who or what directed me there ........ Getting old and the memory is not what it used to be.

I think your site is set up excellent, it loads fast has great images and is very user friendly. The only thing you might consider is a shopping cart, I have found if people can just add to cart they are more likely to buy on impulse rather than make a telephone call. Shopping carts are somewhat overwhelming at first but after just a a short while they become second nature. I'd do my own cart and not use the various ones that are available. If you have questions contact me on the forum and I will send my email address to you.

I love your chainsaw carvings, again I think I may have seen these many many years ago ............ Were you doing this at Big Bear in the late seventies or early eighties.

All my best .......... Danny

Thanks for your comments Kenneth. But I take exception to that phrase "used to do some wood carving".

Don't quit, get those tools out, grab a chunk of wood and just cut off anything that doesn't look like a bird.

Have a great new year,

Pete V.

pete,i didn't quit carving,i went from wood to gemstone carving.you can see some of my work on this forum.best regards,kenneth neaves

Pete,

I knew I had seen your work as soon as I saw the image you posted. I had been to your site ....... No clues who or what directed me there ........ Getting old and the memory is not what it used to be.

I think your site is set up excellent, it loads fast has great images and is very user friendly. The only thing you might consider is a shopping cart, I have found if people can just add to cart they are more likely to buy on impulse rather than make a telephone call. Shopping carts are somewhat overwhelming at first but after just a a short while they become second nature. I'd do my own cart and not use the various ones that are available. If you have questions contact me on the forum and I will send my email address to you.

I love your chainsaw carvings, again I think I may have seen these many many years ago ............ Were you doing this at Big Bear in the late seventies or early eighties.

All my best .......... Danny

Thanks Danny for the shopping cart suggestion.

I considered it but most of my sales are local. I have never sold anything on the internet. People seem to want to see the art in person and meet the artist when you are in the higher priced items. It is a good place to introduce your art but don't count on sales unless you are under $100. I guess it is the K-Mart mentality to buying art.

I retired in 1999 and started chainsaw carving here in Big Bear in 2000. I had a friend here that is a wonderful chainsaw artist and sculptor. He is probably the one you met. He challenged my to try it as it is a lot less stressful and tedious than the bird carvings. My wife made me quit the chainsaw work three years ago as she said "I am to old to be playing with chainsaws". LOL I still do some but do not actively seek commisions.

Hope you have a great New Year.

Pete V.

vaice1@aol.com

www.bearvalleysculptures.com

Archived