Zippo Lighter

JP Anderson

I just finished this for my smoker niece. The cold winter hasn't left me much time to carve so this is my entire output so far. It's all push graved other than stripping the chrome with a diamond burr.

The chrome was intimidating. It was almost impossible to break through to the brass near the hinge line and the edges. Slips show up bad on chrome.

It was my first Zippo and I learned a lot. In the hinge/edge area it was make a chip and sharpen, make a chip and sharpen. I finally stripped it off with a diamond burr but even the brass is super hard in those areas. I did cut through the metal under the crook of the arm. Should have gotten the brass lighter.....

Niece is totally "WOW" and that's what counts. It's pretty rough. I need to make some more scrapers. Experience is helping but learning sure is hard work.

Thanks for looking and all the help getting here,

John

post-1995-1294673663.jpg

BTW: It's a real dragon. Can anyone tell me where it's from?

This was a personal gift for my niece and it's a composite of two pictures I found posted on the internet. Normally I only work from photos I've taken personally but that was difficult as we have few dragons in these parts. I think the dragon(s) are really nice fantasy sculptures that are standing the test of time. I'd like to thank the unknown travellers who's photos I used.

John

Hi John,

I really like this one - I think you did a great job! What did you use to hold this while working? I'm impressed - that chrome has got to be tough to work through for sure. And the brass has got to be extremely hard after they pressed it into form.

I'm doing a custom ring right now that has a dragon on each side - I'll post some photos when I get that far.

I'm thinking your species might come from northern B.C.

Stay Warm,

Magnus

Magnus,

I inlet the lighter into a piece of scrap wood using my wood carving tools. I also ran a bead around the edge but I'm not sure it was needed. I hold most of my work in a similar manner. The blocks are hot melt glued to my carving stand.

Thank you all for the compliments.

John

post-1995-1294857977.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hei JP, loved to see your work, must have been an agony to do it, although it must have been a nice feeling to give something so unique to a person you like. I have earlier made some zippos but nothing to compare with yours. I did cut a relief of a wood grouse out of of a sheet of 0.7 mm brass, carve it and cut it the same way as your dragon, so that part of it is on the upper part and rest on the lower part. If you don't mind I would like to "borrow" your dragon for something, one can never have too many dragons? Lauri

Archived