for the curious... some jade

Shane

• 2 weeks later...
thanks alot ya guys!! yup the top one is the guatemalan. it started as an end cut off a larger stone and i just started carving it with nothing really in mind.

So let me ask you, what "kind" of jade do you prefer, and "why" do you prefer it, do you prefer the Guatemalan jadeite, or do you prefer other types of jadeite from other regions, or even nephrite jade, being softer and all.

I'm just wondering.

I actually just prefer the "look" of the Guatemalan jades, and even though they seem to be MUCH harder to work with, I get a certain satisfaction knowing that I worked with something that was "harder" to carve...LOL Guess that means I like a challenge!

I think I'll stick to the Central American jades, they just appeal to me, I've got some coming direct from Guatemala soon, maybe about 100lbs of it soon as well, can't wait to dig in and carve up a storm!

Your work is great, I just wanted to ask you and others what kind of jade they preferred since you also seem to like the Guatemalan material.

Take care!!

Chris ;)

so far my favourite type of jade to carve is some of the olive nephrites from wyoming. you tried them yet? reallly smooth to carve and they sand and polish so effortlessly. im really starting to take a liking to the yukon jade i have been carving from roger krichbaums claim lotsa character, very hard and smooth to carve.. i think guat jadeites are something pretty special though. especially the blues. are you getting any blue??;)

a carving from some of the sweet blue green he mines

post-2286-1296281761.jpg

so far my favourite type of jade to carve is some of the olive nephrites from wyoming. you tried them yet? reallly smooth to carve and they sand and polish so effortlessly. im really starting to take a liking to the yukon jade i have been carving from roger krichbaums claim lotsa character, very hard and smooth to carve.. i think guat jadeites are something pretty special though. especially the blues. are you getting any blue??:)

a carving from some of the sweet blue green he mines

Well, I'm waiting for a shipment of sample chunks of various jades from my supplier in Guatemala, as well as 5 pounds of Honduras Black Matrix opal (which is soft as butter!), but I know there are no blues in that package, however, my supplier is currently seeking out some blue for me hopefully, as well as some really kewl seam opal, so I'll let ya know when it comes in. Hope it's OK to post that here, it's not a sales pitch or anything!

I'm really anxious to see the blue material as well.

I haven't had a chance to try all the different types of jade yet, as I'm so new to jade carving, I'm only just now working on my first attempt at carving jade, it just a fun piece, nothing serious!

Take care,

Chris ;)

ya i bought from him once. some quality jade at a good price but man i took like a month to get to Canada haha. BTW if you ever are looking for some nice guatemalan blue or sapphire i have some contact info i can give you for some.

Hi Shane, I sent you a PM about the offer, as the admins advised that "business" be taken "off forum" and discussed in private.

I totally understand that, and respect their wishes, after all, it's a forum, not "flea-bay", LOL.

I've been reading quite a bit about the Guatemalan and Olmec blue jade, and found out that it's been only recently that these blue jade mines were "rediscovered" after many hundreds of years of being lost in the jungles after the Spanish did their nasty thing down there, apparently, a storm or hurricane or something knocked down a bunch of jungle and exposed the mines there, and washed a bunch of jade down into the river systems below, that started turning up in local shops, and people were collecting this blue jade and "trading" it for things needed to live on, and the shop keepers had NO idea where this blue jade was coming from, until this explorer guy started investigating, and interviewing the locals who advised him they were picking it out of a local riverbed after that storm, and apparently, he traced it back up into the jungle and found the ancient mines that the Olmec started centuries ago.

I'm going by memory, from what I read (and my memory SUX) so it may have gone slightly different than what I wrote, but you get the basic idea...lol.

Hopefully the price of this blue material will decrease, now that the source is known and being mined again, but then again, they may do what the opal and diamond trades are doing and attempt to "price fix" and control the market, who knows.

All I know is that it is a beautiful stone, with alot of historical significance and also to the locals, alot of religious significance, as they regard it as a material given to them directly from their gods.

The one thing I think is REALLY kewl about that jade,m is how it "rings" when you strike a large piece of it with another piece of jade, or an equally hard object, that alone says there is something VERY special about jade!

Take care!

Chris ;)

Archived