This was a challenge

Ron Scupham

This was a challenge! This was an attempt to carve very intricate detail into this piece by bringing out the tentacles from the material and also getting the ebony eyes to bulge a bit. The toggle for this is a carved bone in the shape of a shell. The greatest challenge were getting the suckers small enough without losing the detail. I would like everybody's "constructive comments" on this piece.

Cheers

Ron

post-1873-1295075148.jpg

post-1873-1295075175.jpg

post-1873-1295075217.jpg

post-1873-1295075238.jpg

post-1873-1295075310.jpg

Hi Ron,

It is good to see your new work! You have managed to portray the fluid energy and form of the beast. Indeed, the suckers must have been an exercise in patience and control. The subtle shading appeals to me allowing the piece to read as a whole yet gently pointing out the areas of more detail. What is the material?

Janel

Hi Ron,

It is good to see your new work! You have managed to portray the fluid energy and form of the beast. Indeed, the suckers must have been an exercise in patience and control. The subtle shading appeals to me allowing the piece to read as a whole yet gently pointing out the areas of more detail. What is the material?

Janel

Hi Ya

Just ordinary Cow bone

Ron

Hi Ron,

First, I-d like to say I really find your carving nice, the details on the suckers....woaw.

'Coz you said that you wanted constructive comments, here's one, about the eyes, on a real octopus, they are part of the "cap", I don't know if I'm clear. On your carving you delimited the top part all around and you put the ebony eyes under, but actually on real one the eyes are part of this top part that I call "cap"....Am I more clear?!?! ;)

Ok, hope you understand what I meant, and it's just the only thing that came to my mind after looking at your carving, for the rest....I hope to be able to carve something like this one day.

Take Care

Christophe

Hi Ron,

First, I-d like to say I really find your carving nice, the details on the suckers....woaw.

'Coz you said that you wanted constructive comments, here's one, about the eyes, on a real octopus, they are part of the "cap", I don't know if I'm clear. On your carving you delimited the top part all around and you put the ebony eyes under, but actually on real one the eyes are part of this top part that I call "cap"....Am I more clear?!?! ;)

Ok, hope you understand what I meant, and it's just the only thing that came to my mind after looking at your carving, for the rest....I hope to be able to carve something like this one day.

Take Care

Christophe

Hi Christophe

It seems that you have mistaken the image, as it isn't an OCTOPUS but a SQUID.

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

Let me just say -BEAUTIFUL WORK - (it inspires me to visit my local butcher - I've been wanting to carve ivory but have been unable to find any - this piece shows me that bone would be fine for what I want to do - which bone of the cow was this carved from?)

To get back to your carving - the squid and the shell are very fine. I do think you need to refine your eyes and how they fit with the rest of the piece - they strike me as cabs just stuck onto the body and if you integrated them, as well as I know you could, with the slight bulge of the socket and an eyelid etc., the piece would seem absolutely flawless and much more striking and powerful.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work!! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Magnus

post-239-1295475313.jpg

post-239-1295475326.jpg

Ron,

Let me just say -BEAUTIFUL WORK - (it inspires me to visit my local butcher - I've been wanting to carve ivory but have been unable to find any - this piece shows me that bone would be fine for what I want to do - which bone of the cow was this carved from?)

To get back to your carving - the squid and the shell are very fine. I do think you need to refine your eyes and how they fit with the rest of the piece - they strike me as cabs just stuck onto the body and if you integrated them, as well as I know you could, with the slight bulge of the socket and an eyelid etc., the piece would seem absolutely flawless and much more striking and powerful.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work!! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Magnus

Thanks! Hey I agree! Didn't have anything appropriate at the time eg: amber etc.. I still can change the eyes by inlaying some Mother of Pearl for the pupil but it seems that it might be arse about if I did this.

Cheers

Ron

Archived