A few pic's....

JohnB

These are the shaving vice study I'm doing. I might turn the finished one into a Bodger's horse. This has 2 moving parts, clamp and treadle, it's 2"X5"X61/2". This is made from a hickory branch I borrowed from the burn pile.

post-2778-1295794611.jpg, post-2778-1295794638.jpg

Will the vise be one you could use? Thanks for the photos.

If it was full size, yes it could be used. Unfortunately wood that big around here would be already cut for the woodburner. ;)

I did make one that was full sized for a friend several years ago, but I have no idea what happened to it.

I wondered what a Bodger's horse might be and found a topic on a forum about green woodworking called Bodger's Asked and Answered HERE on this page. It is good to know that folks are having fun with carrying on the use of old style hand tools.

Janel

Cool site and links! Will definitely check them out! Thanks!!

I was trained by an old man from Germany, he made furniture and custom woodwork. He had several different types of horses. You name it he probably had it in that shop. Just one powered saw, an industrial tablesaw, the rest was by hand. He's the one that got me into carving and restoration work I learned alot from him in the 5 years I spent there!!. I thought it would be cool to craft models of whatever kind of unusual woodworking tool I can find a picture of, or see. I've seen alot of them in museums and Williamsburg, among other villages. There's one in Ontario I saw several years ago, all I have to do is find the pictures of it, they're in a box somewhere.

Archived