Sintered diamond bits

chris-c

Well, I finally received my sintered bit order from the manufacturer in Hong Kong, now all I need to do is try them...lol.

Actually, it only took 4 days to arrive from Hong Kong, but it took a week to make them for me, as apparently, they had to make 100 of each burr just to supply me the one of each style and grit I ordered, lol.

I hope they are decent quality, or at least better than the electroplated ones I currently have, most of my electroplated bits have come from the Mastercraft rotary tool kits I've purchased over the years, and they are certainly cheap in construction.

I noticed that a few I purchased online made by an English company in the UK called "Engis" were tremendously better than the others i have made by mastercraft, and of course the REALLY cheap ones hardly worth mentioning that I purchased at Princess Auto, which were $2.98 for a 10 pack of various shapes and sizes.

The Engis electroplated burrs are actually "black" in color for some reason, not shiny and silver, must be some kind of coating, but they are far better than the others, so at least I know what a "good" diamond electroplated burr is like to compare these sintered one I've just received.

You probably cannot tell much from just "looking at the burrs, but here they are, tell me what you think.

How bad can they be for only $2.50 per piece?? Most of the other sintered diamond burrs I've seen online were in the range of $20-$40 each, and they are probably imported from the same place..lol.

So what do you guys like to use, sintered, or electroplated, and why? Is it only a cost thing, or a "performance" thing?

Chris ;)

These come in Super Coarse, coarse, medium, fine, and extra fine, what grit numbers that equates to I have NO idea!

sintered-bits-1.jpg

sintered-bits-2.jpg

sintered-bits-3.jpg

sintered-bits-4.jpg

sintered-bits-5.jpg

2.50 a bur.. sheesh that sounds like a smoking deal!.

i just bought some from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

they are pretty good but i think the matrix is a little soft, but woww what a world of difference they make compared to plated burs. carve alott faster!. let me know will ya how the ones you bought turn out being. i might have contact ur seller if they are something special

That appears to be a great price. I hope they workout well for you. I hate it when I am carving with a 600 grit electroplated and strip the diamonds in less then a second. Maybe if the quality is good you can share the name they might want to sell the other 99 bits from the manufacturing process. Or resell to some of your fellow canadiens and make a bit of profit on the side? If the quality is good for you I would pay your profit margin.

Russ

That appears to be a great price. I hope they workout well for you. I hate it when I am carving with a 600 grit electroplated and strip the diamonds in less then a second. Maybe if the quality is good you can share the name they might want to sell the other 99 bits from the manufacturing process. Or resell to some of your fellow canadiens and make a bit of profit on the side? If the quality is good for you I would pay your profit margin.

Russ

Hi Russ,

You know, it's funny, I "always" have these ideas of becoming a reseller of things, and making tons of money at it, and go to great lengths to find distributors and manufacturers to do so, but then, when it comes down to it, I don't ever have the heart to sell things at a marked up cost, I usually just end up connecting people up with my suppliers, because I just want to spread the good deals, as money just isn't an important thing to me anymore.

I'm probably one of the least materialistic people you'll ever meet without actually becoming a Buddhist monk and giving all my worldly possessions away...LOL

I even feel guilty selling my opals at a profit, and getting paid for my work, and have to convince myself that I have a wife and new baby to support, so I'd better "get" somewhat materialistic and start being a better provider for them, but you know, there's more to life than money, in fact, money really IS the LEAST important thing in this world, and if we could all just realize that, and help one another, this place would be SUCH a better world to live in, it would be amazing.

I would rather share the wealth, and feel good about myself than make a profit from others that are being so kind and helpful to me, that's just who I am, the "profit" to me is in the friendship, and the knowledge that I acquire from others who are willing to help and guide me along as I learn new things, it's actually the LEAST I can do to show my appreciation to others here for all the help and advice they have given me thus far!

I guess I will never be "rich" (in a money kinda way) because I just don't have that drive to accumulate MONEY, and in my own heart, I am "already rich", as I have a beautiful wife who loves me very much, and a beautiful baby girl, that brightens our days, and I can't possibly think of any money being worth more than that!

I hope it's ok with the site admins to post manufacturer contacts here, if not, I sincerely apologize, as I'm not trying to break any rules, just trying to help others!

Now, having said that, whether I'm actually "helping" anyone kinda remains to be seen, what I mean is that I would hate to connect anyone with a supplier of something like this, and find that the product does not nearly live up to their professional standards!

As most of you already know, Chinese manufactured lapidary products don't exactly register at the top of the high quality list! (Danny, if your reading this, you know EXACTLY what I mean!!) But then again, what really is even manufactured in Canada or the USA anymore? I know Foredoms are, that's one of the reasons I bought it!

Keep in mind that I am NOT a professional carver (yet, hehe) and I am in NO way qualified to make a judgment or statement about whether a sintered diamond burr is great quality, or total crap, because I myself am learning that very thing right now, which is WHY I actually ordered those sintered burrs to begin with, to see how they perform, and soon, I will purchase what I am "told" is an excellent quality sintered diamond burr, so I can compare them for myself to these Chinese ones I just purchased.

So what I'm saying is that you guys being very experienced in this field, and with using and assessing these diamond bits and burrs may take my advice, purchase some of these sintered burrs, and then REGRET doing so, because in YOUR opinion based on your years of experience with these items, you may find them to be totally inadequate compared to a high quality expensive one that you are used to using. I DON'T want that to happen!

I wish I had a better way to inform you all if these burrs would in fact live up to your high standards, but I can't, I'm just trying to help out, knowing that these days, none of us are really made of money, and times are tough, and if you can get a good deal on something that works for you, go for it.

I guess that's my disclaimer! LOL

It wasn't meant to be a "disclaimer" actually, I just want people to understand that I'm not really in a position to make recommendations, as my experience is limited, that's all, so make the decision to purchase from this Hong Kong supplier based on your own risk taking philosophies, (and the pics I posted here which "may" help) and also if you "are" going to go by anything "I" say, I actually "am" liking them VERY much in comparison to what I have been using, meaning the cheapo diamond electroplated burrs I was talking about in my earlier post.

Compared to those cheap electroplated burrs that I've been burning out on a regular basis on my jade carving (while ALWAYS wet and at LOW speeds!) these sintered burrs are excellent, but maybe I still don't know what "excellent" really IS yet, but at this point anyhow, I don't regret purchasing them at all, but that's just me!

Keep in mind that shipping from China, Hong Kong, and anywhere in Asia is fairly expensive, and there "may" be customs/duty/taxes charges at the door, I paid an additional 12 bucks in brokerage fees to DHL, that sucks, but it's still a good deal in my opinion.

The GOOD thing was that the shipping was only 4 days, which was hard to believe it was SO fast, and there was NO customs delays, so the delivery speed impressed me.

The burrs were $2.50 each "for me", but that my also be because I informed them of my business status, and my intent to "resell" them, which is in fact the case, and I probably will resell them locally such as you mentioned, but NOT to you guys!

I'm sure they will give you the same deal, just tell them that I referred you, and that you were told the price is $2.50 each, there also was NO minimum order quantity, and shipping was $25.00USD for the first 0.5kg, and $6.00USD for each additional 0.5kg, so that is standard.

So, for 21 sintered burrs @ $2.50USD each, the cost was $52.50, plus shipping of $25.00, for a total of $77.50, PLUS the $12.00 CAD at the door for the brokerage fees (Grrr...lol), so that equals a total of $89.50 for 21 burrs, which = $4.26 each, after shipping and other delivery fees, which is still REALLY cheap compared to all other sintered diamond burrs I've seen elsewhere!

Again, I REALLY hope I have not broken any rules, or offended anyone here by trying to help you all out by a direct referral to the company, if someone asks me, I will tell.

I get great satisfaction knowing that I may have positively touched someone else's life, and that is just the way I am, so I apologize in advance if I "have" done anything wrong by posting this, and will not be offended if the admins decide to remove my post, so please DO if I've broken any rules, I definitely don't want to do anything wrong here!

It goes without saying that I am in NO way affiliated with this company, or making any money at all from referring people, I really AM just trying to help out if I can, my heart is always in the right place ;)

Here is the name and contact info of the company, they also sell other types of burrs such as soft abrasive impregnated silicone type for dental work and things like that, which as you know, are usually great for lapidary applications!

Take care all, hope this helps!

Chris :)

Ms. Fish Yu . Marketing

www.dianfong.com

Dian Fong Industrial Co., Ltd.

Add: Room 202, No. 11, the 6th Lane, Jianshe Rd., Xin Nan Village,

Pinghu Town, Long Gang District, 518 111, Shenzhen, P.R.China

E-mail: dianfong@gmail.com ; sales@dianfong.com

Msn: dianfong@hotmail.com

Tel : +86 755 2885 6248

Fax :+86 755 2885 6246

Thanks for the reply. I will wait to see if the administrators discourage this information exchange. Before acting on it. Your philosophy on making money from something you love doing is so close to mine. Thanks I like the way you expressed yourself. I sell my stuff occasionally but usually to recover cost and to purchase replacement equipment. Even with good electroplated diamonds just a little too much pressure and to little water and the diamonds are gone. I hope you post your evaluation of these bits when you have the time.

Russ

Sharing the contact information is just that and is okay, provided that the information is correct. You are not posting your own work or your surplus items for sale. If you were, that would not be okay and you would be reminded to handle that business privately.

Janel

Hi Janel,

Thanks for allowing me to share this contact info, I'm glad that you can see my intent is totally pure and is simply to try to help others if I can. That's just the way I am.

I'm one of those people who try to do at least "one" good thing every day, and usually end up doing several things for others during each day of my life, I don't do this expecting things in return, or to earn "karma points", I do this because it makes me feel good inside, and makes me a better person.

I have my business where I make money from, and this is not the place that I intend on doing such business, unless of course I do happen to supply the odd carving material to people such as jade or other things I may be able to supply cheaply to others, but again, this is not to capitalize on others here in the forum, it's to "share the wealth" if I happen to come across suppliers who can give deeply discounted prices on good quality material that I feel others here may benefit from, that's all. And don't worry, if that situation ever arises, I will conduct myself appropriately!

Again, I believe if we all shared more in this world, and helped one another out more, it wouldn't be such a struggle to get by, that's the way they used to do it back in the old days, and the communities prospered by it, but now, our culture is one of greed, and everyone seems like they are out for themselves, which is very sad.

I know we all need to take care of ourselves and our families, but wouldn't it be nice if we extended out arms to include more people into our "families" such as our friends and neighbors?

Sorry to get all "touchie feelie" here...LOL, I just like people to know what I'm all about, you seem like you have a good little "carving family" going on here, and I hope to be able to be included in that, and to positively contribute to the group in one way or another, it's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all the great advice!

Take care all!

Chris ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Chris,

How are those new diamond burs ?

Are they good ?

I am also a stone carver, too.

Wish you the best.

Yloh :)

Hi Yloh ,

Thanks for the best wishes!

Well, I'm not quite sure what to expect from these sintered burrs, as I just don't have any others to really compare them to, if I did have some high cost sintered burrs to compare these cheap ones to, I'd probably be able to rate them with a meaningful comment, but since I don't, I'm not really sure if I'm expecting too much from them, or if they are simply "crappy", as I have actually managed to wear a couple of them down quite a bit, and I'm not sure if that is "normal" for a sintered bit or not.

I was under the assumption that with a "sintered" burr, the edges of the inverted cone shaped burr would be very sharp, and the sintered diamond edges would be very tough along the edges, thus allowing more cutting power than an electroplated burr, but these ones have worn along the cutting edge quite a bit, I'll post a picture of them later, my camera croaked, so I'll have to borrow my wife's camera for now...lol.

So it's a hard question to answer, if I had more experience, I'd be in a better position to give a "rating" on their quality, but I'm guessing that this may be one of those cases where you get what you pay for, which is "not much", however, they aren't "that" bad, if you know what I mean.

I can tell that they are not complete "garbage" or anything, they are just not as tough as I expected, that's all.

My experience with sintered diamond products is solely based on sintered diamond continuous edge saw blades for lapidary, which are VERY aggressive, with alot of diamond fragments embedded in them, and they can cut granite no problem, without burning out, as long as properly lubricated with water, and these burrs do not measure up to those saw blade edges at all, but I think I'm comparing "apples to oranges" in this case!

I'm not at all disappointed with them, based on what I paid, but I can say that if I paid $40 each for them as some have marked these EXACT burrs up to, I WOULD be disappointed with them for sure.

I've got some diamond electroplated burrs that are extra fine made by Engis, from the UK, and out of all the burrs I own, those burrs are by far the best in terms of how they last, and how they perform, you can just tell the diamond particles on the burrs are very evenly matched to all one size, as they don't leave deep scratches here and there like the cheap Chinese electroplated burrs do, which I'm sure use just a mix of all the leftovers from the diamond processes and just stick them to the end of a metal shaft...lol.

Anyhow, thanks for asking, hopefully I can actually get around to "finishing" the carving I started, so that I can move on to doing other things!

Take care!

Chris :D

Hello. I'm new here. The whole question of sintered vs. plated diamond carving burrs has been on my mind for a few months now. I'd really like to hear more opinions from people who have worked with both. Particularly, how much longer do the sintered burrs last than the plated ones? Are they worth the extra money, or am I better off just buying mass amounts of plated burrs? I've noticed that the cut-off discs wear out super fast for me (at least all the ones I've ordered off ebay). Does anybody know where to order sintered cut-off discs? I think that would be one bit that would be particularly beneficial in the sintered form. What do you all think?

quinn,i have been carving since the 1960's and have used tools from a lot of places.when i first started there was not many places that handled diamond tools,i had to make my own tools.over the years i have bought diamond tools from a lot of different companies and by far the best place i have found to buy tools is daniel lopacki.he is also a fine gemstone carver and has some of his work on this site.as for the sintered diamond tools i have paid 45 bucks apiece for some of them and they were not worth nothing.they wear lopsided and bounce to much after you use them a little.one very good friend of mine makes diamond tools,i have known him and his family for years and used to buy plated tools and drills from him for years.i don't buy from him anymore because i can buy from danny lopacki for a lot less.i carve dry and the tools i buy from danny holds up better than any i have seen.hope this helps.best regards,kenneth neaves

Hello. I'm new here. The whole question of sintered vs. plated diamond carving burrs has been on my mind for a few months now. I'd really like to hear more opinions from people who have worked with both. Particularly, how much longer do the sintered burrs last than the plated ones? Are they worth the extra money, or am I better off just buying mass amounts of plated burrs? I've noticed that the cut-off discs wear out super fast for me (at least all the ones I've ordered off ebay). Does anybody know where to order sintered cut-off discs? I think that would be one bit that would be particularly beneficial in the sintered form. What do you all think?

Hello Quinn and WELCOME!!

I'm fairly new here as well, and as you've probably read, reasonably new to carving, well, "jade" at least, so I'm also learning as I go along!

I'm not the best to give "professional" advice, as I'm listening more than I'm talking right now, but common sense wise, I'm finding that at least "these" sintered burrs that I have ordered are not living up to what MY expectations of them are, but maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges, as the sintered burrs I've managed to wear out thus far have been the extra fine type, so I'm probably just taxing them more than I should, nothing is indestructible!

I'm questioning the actual quality of the construction of these burrs, afterall, they WERE extremely cheap, so like I've said, I'm just happy to have bought them direct from the source, rather than from a marked up reseller, as then I'd be disappointed for sure if I had to pay more than a couple bucks each for them!

I DO have a couple high quality sintered burrs now that are the very coarse variety, and they are super tough, but again, "apples and oranges" to compare those to a super fine from any other supplier, they just aren't meant for the same task.

I recommend buying high quality burrs, both sintered and electroplated, so that your NOT comparing cheap and quality of each variety against each other, as that's in my opinion the only real way to be comparing the same quality in both of the different types to see what you find the best for you.

Not much help, being told to spend money, I know...lol. Sorry :(

I don't think that any one person has ALL the answers when it comes to anything lapidary, there are SO many techniques, and some just simply make more sense to one person than to another, or work better for them than someone else for some odd reason, so we all just have to find things that resonate with us, and our abilities, and take it from there, and develop our skill in those techniques. That's what makes us all individual artists I think!

Take care and welcome once again!!

Chris ;)

quinn,i have been carving since the 1960's and have used tools from a lot of places.when i first started there was not many places that handled diamond tools,i had to make my own tools.over the years i have bought diamond tools from a lot of different companies and by far the best place i have found to buy tools is daniel lopacki.he is also a fine gemstone carver and has some of his work on this site.as for the sintered diamond tools i have paid 45 bucks apiece for some of them and they were not worth nothing.they wear lopsided and bounce to much after you use them a little.one very good friend of mine makes diamond tools,i have known him and his family for years and used to buy plated tools and drills from him for years.i don't buy from him anymore because i can buy from danny lopacki for a lot less.i carve dry and the tools i buy from danny holds up better than any i have seen.hope this helps.best regards,kenneth neaves

Hi Kenneth, I posted at the SAME time you did, haha.

Your right about MAKING your own tools I think, as right now, I'm making my own set of brass smooth tools from brass rods in different widths, to be charged with diamond pastes of different coarseness in order to final finish my work, as I've found that it works better than ANY other burr or tip I have in those coarseness ratings alone!

Take care!

Chris :(

chris,i said i made some of my tools when i started out carving in the 60's.at that time the only one that i knew that handled any diamond tools was joe murphy from san antonio,texas and they were small dental tools.very slow cutting but still faster than home made tools.sometimes i make a tool to use when i can't buy one that does the job.but i carve dry and i want something that cuts fast.if you look at the fiddle player that is on this site you can see what i mean.it is 12 inches tall and with the diamond tools that i buy from danny lopacki it took 1 year to complete,with home made tools it would have took 5 years to do.best regards,kenneth neaves

Kenneth and Chris, thank you both for your feedback. After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to stick with the plated burrs. Also, I agree that Daniels site seems to be one of the best for supplies. As soon as I get paid from my next obsidian sale, I'm going to stock up on some bits and diamond powder from his site.

Kenneth and Chris, thank you both for your feedback. After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to stick with the plated burrs. Also, I agree that Daniels site seems to be one of the best for supplies. As soon as I get paid from my next obsidian sale, I'm going to stock up on some bits and diamond powder from his site.

That's a good idea Quinn, I'm also going to support Danny by purchasing from him in the future!

The only reason I purchased what I did elsewhere was to "experiment" with things, but it's always a good idea to go with what's proven and tried and true, such as a good, reliable and honest dealer like Danny!

Chris ;)

hello to all of you,i am going to try and explain how to get better service with the coated diamond tools.as most of you know i carve dry,which i don't reccomend that anybody do carving this way.that is the way i learned to carve but it is better to learn another way to carve gemstones.what has worked for me to get better service out of the coated diamond carving burrs is to start out carving at a slow speed for a while with the burrs and not let them get to hot.that way the diamond sets up better on the burrs.at least that works for me,what works for one may not work for everyone.when working on a large carving you can get used to wearing out a lot of burrs,that is why some large carvings are so costly even if they are carved from cheap stone like the fiddle player is made from.that carving is a foot tall and took about a year to complete.when working on big pieces like that i use a tile saw with a 7 inch blade to remove a lot of material before i start using the small diamond burrs.i use the tile blade like a grinding wheel which i don't recomend that anyone do.if you do be sure to wear safety glasses or goggles for eye protection and it is dangerous to use a saw like this for a grinding wheel,they are very high speeded and will jerk the rock out of you hands.so if you are dumb enough to do like i do you had better hold on to the piece of rock very tight.best regards to all of you,kenneth neaves

Archived