Best graver-making tutorial

Sheila

I would like to make myself a couple of gravers for carving surface details into hard wood and bone, but I can't seem to find a REEALLY simple tutorial for making them. There was one in the tutorials forum, but it looks like the link doesn't work anymore : ( I need something with lots of pictures and/or a video, and lots of details as to where to get supplies and what machines to use (for example, bench grinder with what grit of grinding wheel? Or a belt sander with what type of belt? Where do you get the metal for the graver from?) I'm still pretty new to this whole thing! :D But its lots of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this web site for tool steel (flat stock.com) they have almost anything . I bought 3/32X3/32x 36" W1 for about $1.77 ea or call Clark&Osborne 800-725-5817 same people fast service this is listed as key stock and is very true to size. Also you can heat treat with a torch quench in water, temper in toster oven or reg oven at 350 degrees for one hr let it cool. done. I shape the tool before heat treating

• 2 weeks later...

in terms of found materials-----

the metal in fencing foils (like for swordfighting)

works very well. the cross section gives you this diamond

shape that gives you excellent control of the graver.

the sizes from tip to hilt taper and you get about five different sizes

out of one foil.

i think its a form of spring steel but its very high carbon. lots of sparks.

i do heat treatment with 2 mapp torches and quench in peanut oil.

i then reheat in a stove.

i also keep close lookout for Bodhran tippers (rosewood if possible)

and found i can make very nice handles for my gravers.

Archived