> The Maori people link them selves to the gods of the forest ,sea wind

> ,land and

> sky

> my ancestors carved greenstone -Pounamu ,whalebone and hard woods

> As their was no written language the knowledge was passed through songs

> and

> carvings

> in a way the carvings were our language

> I enjoy carving because its something that can link me to my culture.

> I hope to learn more about chiseling techniques on bone also about the

> detrimental affects of bone dust

>

> also the art of carving corian is it safer?

This is a set of pendants I made I call it The Bond it symbolises joining of 2 people to create 1 heart

the shape is based on an adze or Toki and the internal cut away silohuete is based on the shape of koru or fern frond

post-2817-1297675917.jpg

Welcome to the forum Maha,

Very handsome work and display/presentation box. Your assistant is intriguing, offering a gentle introduction to your work.

How do you mean 'safer' for working Corian? It is wise to always not breath the dusts that our work creates.

Janel

Welcome to the forum Maha,

Very handsome work and display/presentation box. Your assistant is intriguing, offering a gentle introduction to your work.

How do you mean 'safer' for working Corian? It is wise to always not breath the dusts that our work creates.

Janel

thanks very much yes my assistant / supervisor is a very hard taskmaster

I have heard that corian dust is less harmful than bone dust

Very nice work Good to see someone doing toki with there own twist to them. I make a lot of tokis also and like to ad new things to them keep up the great work.

kia ora your work with greenstone is enviable and amazing how long do you usually spend making each peice and how long do you carve in a day do you have to worry about dust at all?

Kia ora Maha

And haere mai on the carving path, there's plenty around to learn about bone carving and good work to look at, hope you will enjoy.

Nice combination between toki and koru, would like to see more of your work, hopefully.

Christophe

Kia ora e hoa

thank you for the warm welcome what medium do you carve

Hearty Welcome Maha! I only wished I was a carver in New Zealand...alas I will have to be happy with Northern Utah at this time. :(

Kia ora and thank you for your welcome I never really thought of myself as being lucky to be a carver in New Zealand until I joined this forum and discovered alot of people around the world held Maori carving with high esteem

which is extremely flattering that being said I would like to one day experiance the fast life of new york and LA home of some of my favorite rappers.

what is it that draws you to New Zealand my friend

Kia ora and thank you for your welcome I never really thought of myself as being lucky to be a carver in New Zealand until I joined this forum and discovered alot of people around the world held Maori carving with high esteem

which is extremely flattering that being said I would like to one day experiance the fast life of new york and LA home of some of my favorite rappers.

what is it that draws you to New Zealand my friend

It would be tough to narrow down what it is that draws me to New Zealand, but in a word I would say, the Culture. From an artistic perspective, the elemental involvement in so many of the cultural works is appealing to me even though I do not fully understand them. The landscape in New Zealand is Beautiful, which is different that what I have experienced here at home. Perhaps someday I will visit, enjoy the surroundings, learn from the locals and experience the Haka in person.

Keep carving, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

It would be tough to narrow down what it is that draws me to New Zealand, but in a word I would say, the Culture. From an artistic perspective, the elemental involvement in so many of the cultural works is appealing to me even though I do not fully understand them. The landscape in New Zealand is Beautiful, which is different that what I have experienced here at home. Perhaps someday I will visit, enjoy the surroundings, learn from the locals and experience the Haka in person.

Keep carving, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Wow Im sure you would love it here. Maori have a rich cultural history in New Zealand and in many ways are similar to the American Indians. But as with many colonised cultures there have always ben struggles for the Maori people.

The elemental involvement in Maori art comes from the respect for nature and the Gods of these elements.

If you seek more understanding I would suggest that as a good starting point.

The Haka was a wardance used to hype up warrior partys before battle it helped focus and channel the warriors anger and strength it is an unreal feeling that I hope you get to experience

Im sure you will visit one day and when you do I know you will have the Time of your life

and thank you for your kind words

Kia ora and live well

Maha

ps you have to try a hangi too !

Archived