Donn Salt

Boxwood netsuke

Janel will know this wonderful, gentle, man. It was he who guided me to TCP even though he remains a silent member.

During a rare phone conversation a couple of nights ago I managed to carjoul him into allowing me to post an image of this example of his work I am presently proud to be steward of.

His reluctance was endearing but someone needs to blow his trumpet for him. So before I run out of breath....... Thank you Doug.

Such a beautiful, wonderful little piece! That is a lot of carving for its size, with a lot of under and behind work, not an easy carving. I have not seen one like this from Doug, so thank you very much for posting it.

My greetings to you Doug! Will we be seeing you in September in SF?

Smiles to you,

Janel

Guest ford hallam

Hi Doug,

I`ve noticed your work in a number of catalogues in the past but hav`nt seen anything new for a while. I have to agree with the earlier posts, thats a very appealing piece of work.

Do I detect a "van Gogh"ian feel to this expression of sunflowers. The carving also seems to appear to be more fluid in treatment then I`d have expected from boxwood. Doug seems to be very much in command of his medium.

Perhaps Donn, you are able to respond on Dougs behalf?

thanks for this peek,

Ford ( big happy yellow smily )or one of these :(

I noticed Doug Marsden's name on the member list here and would certainly enjoy it if he could contribute more. :( I've seen his work in catalogs the past few years and would be interested in hearing his opinions on things esp. some abstract pieces I saw in print at a recent Japanese exhibit.

Australian and New Zealand woodcarvers please speak up :o

-Doug S (the other Doug)

Doug is a reclusive soul and difficult draw out. We respectively reside at opposite ends of the North Island and don't contact often other than occasional calls, mostly on his part I'm ashamed to say. Something close to 11 hours driving. When we do manage to speak or meet time is a non issue. Like all close souls distance and time are inconsequensial. I have a quite a number of pics illustrating his work over the years and this is the only one he would let me post. A personal piece I much value. I agree it would be great to draw him out a little. I know he keeps a periodic eye on TCP. by comments uttered a few days back during one of his rare calls.

So care to spare a word Doug?

Hi Doug,

What beautiful sculpture. Your pieces have a wonderful design quality. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Dick

PS

Janel,

The little guy on his own chair in my studio is my constant companion Teddy.

Wow, Doug I've just put 2 and 2 together now and realise I know your work from a gallery in Auckland(?). Very inspiring and a kick in the pants to improve. Your netsuke of the legends are very inspiring, akin to those I've seen of the Japanese but so unique. I've been mulling over many deigns I've had along similar themes and have been itching to realise them.

Thanks for the pictures and would be stoked to see more, Peace, Brett

I have tried to get intouch with Doug Marsden for a while now. I first saw his work in Napier, New Zealand at Statements gallery. Doug has made some incrediable small stone "netsuke" like carvings. Would love to hear how he has made some of his pieces.

russell