Earthquake Rattles Christchurch New Zealand

LWKINDER

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts!

The earth quake 6.4 0n the rictor scale and very shallow has hit Cristchurch which is in the South Island, lots of damage with the death toll at the moment at 75 and expected to rise. I'm based in Auckland in the North Island but I have freinds in the area and luckly they have not been hurt. The tragic thing is Cristchurch was hit by a 7.1 earthquake a few months ago that caused a lot of damage but thankfully no loss of life. They were just getting back on track to be hit again is gut renching for them!

Cheers

Wayne

I'm in Wellington and have been unaffected by the recent earthquake. Earthquakes are very frequent in NZ, but aren't often this big (6.3), and certainly not this shallow (only 5km). It's a horrible time, but it's also a time where support shines. It shows the wonderful union we share with Australians, the ANZAC spirits that has binded us for over 100 years. And the amazing support that has come unconditionally from the US, Canada, UK, Singapore, Japan, the UN and many, many more. God bless.

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late in the day.

I'm in Dunedin, which is south of Chch. We felt it here, all right, but are too far for damage. My daughter's place, however, is a write-off. So she moved to Nelson. A headache, since the place is more-or-less unsellable. It will be rebuilt, of course, but she doesn't want to live in Chch any more (probably half of the people there share this feeling), but right now Chch properties will be a bit tough to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post on this one too...I am formerly from Chch (lived there for 15 years before moving to this side of the island) and nearly all my family are still there. This quake has had a huge impact on the arts scene with many galleries who were only just recovering from the earlier September quake having to close again and lay off staff etc. It will take a huge effort to come back from this disaster but the spirit is there. A couple of us (that post here) were scheduled to exhibit at the city's pre-eminent craft gallery in September and I am praying that they will still be operating by then. The entire CBD is still under cordon after the huge amount of buildings that collapsed in the inner city, and it is a nightmare for business owners with many having their premises demolished with no warning or chance to retrieve anything at all. The flow-on effect of this event for business and the economy will be massive.

Archived