Corian Manaia

Maha

The corian was quite soft to carve I think the colour is called arctic ice white and it contains silvery glittery specs

much larger and thicker than the beef bone I have access to.

polishing it was easy I used 180 then 400 then 800 then used a white polishing compound on a buffer wheel

warning though corian does not like to be screwed into and can develop surface cracks if you do so I guess it shatters like bone

dust was minimal perhaps denser and less sharper particles than bone

this carving is going to be used in a glass casting I am hoping to create so in effect will serve as a mould so if all works out I should be able to post a glass version of it although the glass version will be frosted not shiny as in cast glass plane shown in last photos feel free to post thoughts or questions

Kia ora

post-2817-1298621851.jpg

post-2817-1298622093.jpg

post-2817-1298622131.jpg

post-2817-1298622221.jpg

post-2817-1298622313.jpg

Maha:

First, love the picture of your studio workmates, I have one too. She's not afraid of the rockgrinder or Dremel, but is terrified of the vacuum cleaner.

This carving is, in my opinion, a real leap forward from the bone carving you posted before. I don't see the ragged edges, and the openings aren't left so circular (the issue Janel addressed). I hope you go back to bone, but understand that this is a positive for a mold and probably a more appropriate material for that.

I love the glass casting and want to know very much how you do it. I have almost a 5 gallon bucket of dichroic glass and fusing glass shards and wonder whether of not it would work to do this kind of work. I tried fusing the grit-type stuff in a mold I made out of investment, but the stuff never really fused solid.

What are you using to make your molds and how are you getting it to fill the mold so well? Are you venting your molds? I actually have alot of questions and hope you will be able to help me regarding this. I went online and read as much as I could find about glass fusing/slumping, but it looks like you've really mastered it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me. Oh, by the way, this is the sort of stuff I do http://picasaweb.google.com/deborahkirkpatrick56 . You can see that some of this stuff begs to have glass sculpture included in it.

Debbie K

Kia ora Debbie

Thanks for your thoughts

Yes I have a feeling cats love creativity and alot of artists seem to like cats.

The advice I received from Jane last time helped me concentrate on my weakspots and Im glad you

noticed my efforts to utilise her valuable advice.I used a flat back pattern to create the plane It was a plastic toy that I turned upside in some plaster then I just popped it out and filled it with glass fritt smooth non porous surfaces like plastic work well

For the glass casting I use - plaster made up of 50% normal plaster and 50% high temp silica plaster (so the plaster

mould doesnt crack when heated) the mix is 1 part plaster 1part silica and

1 part water

- Coloured glass fritt from GAFFER GLASS you can find them on the internet

they are based in NZ and are the best to use because the led glass they produce

has a Lower melting point than normal glass so it melts and fuses like Honey

at 800 degrees celsius

- I have access to the local high school clay kiln the trick to casting glass is to carefully heat and then slowly cool the glass the whole oven proccess can take

about 4 days

I hope this has ben helpful I willtry to post more on this subject for you what is your favorite medium

Maha:

Thanks for the information and I will go and check out Gaffer Glass.

I like to carve gemstones best of all. I like tangua nut, bone and tusk, too. I like to carve waxes and cast in silver and bronze. The thing I like the least is working in metal. I'm not crazy about soldering and general fabrication. I don't mind doing chasing and repousse, but I'm getting older and I get tendonitis if I hammer on an anvil and do any forging.

I also like to to enamel work, but haven't done too much lately. I'm thinking about using it in my next few pieces.

I hope you are well after the earthquake and not experiencing too much interruption in your services. We had a hurricane here a few years ago, and it was a long time before we had water that was safe to drink or any power. Hoping that your not having those problems.

Debbie K

• 2 weeks later...

Kia ora Cristophe

thanks for the kind words

the phrase "be water" that you use on your post reminds me of a Confucious saying that goes -

It doesnt matter how fast or slow you go all that matters is that you do not stop

Archived